Low Cost FPV With DVR poor pilot with glasses

So I had a 4 channel ToolkitRC charger. I loved it.

One day I cracked the screen. I could no longer use it.

I contacted ToolkitRC and they pointed me to a replacement screen on aliexpress. It would take a few weeks to arrive.

So I bought an ISDT K2, 2 channel 6S charger as a stand-in, whilst I waited.

It charges the same number of batteries on 2 channels quicker than the ToolkitRC 4 channel charger does… Not higher max current… no… it just messes about a lot less. It gets on with it. No messing or dithering about with the balancing of cells.

That’s why I say get an ISDT one over the ToolkitRC.

On the other hand I adore my little ToolkitRC bench power supply. That little thing has saved so many quads on the bench I can’t even begin to consider how much money it has saved me.

lolz… I mis-clicked the show reply button… see that’s why I quote the bit I’m replying to!

Hmm. I thought I’d tried yours at one point (@ Willington, early days) and found them to be okay. :person_shrugging:t2: :slight_smile:

Tks guys… reason I asked is bc I recently bought a M7, and was wondering if might have been a bad call…

I’ve only got a 3s lipo to test it with, but so far it has worked as expected. Charging @ 1c a 550 3s to 4.2 /cell from a power bank outputting 9.2x V seems to take around 20 minutes… That seems reasonable to me.

Btw…
I started going through the process of checking calibration on it as well but then it occurred to me that my cheapo multimeter might not be calibrated as well, so I aborted the process. When you set the charger to power output, is the output always as it says despite potentia calibration issues?

You probably had them with my alternate faceplate and extender.

There are better chargers… but if it works for you then that should be ok.

These are really, really useful replies.

I have freerider fired up now with a Bluetooth controller. I can just about hover! I in the process of tryign the other simulators. (Including on phone). Given how well I get on with the simulators I will decide how much cash to waste/invest.

I am content to print-out (or even design and print) an adapter to save some cash.

Thanks again - I feel I am on an informed path and going to have some fun.

4 Likes

You are not me, but I’ll offer that it took me about 8 hours of sim time before I could make the damn things go even remotely where I wanted. It’s a long slog but absolutely worth the effort. :grin:

That kit (Cetus fpv kit) doesn’t have DVR…
I have one of those hardly used for sale

@robinhuman Thanks, no DVR noted. I want to get more practice in a simulator. So would will now not be in rush to buy any kit (Unless you are selling for a silly price :slight_smile: )

@cst3x6 Ta - FPV Skydive from Orca for free on Steam works well on my linux machine.

What type of controller are you using? if it’s a sprung throttle controller then I would get a good value controller with an un sprung throttle as soon as you can.

or take the spring off :man_shrugging:

What type of controller are you using?

Trying to source a USB controller to practice more. At the moment the Bluetooth gamepad the springs are too tight and the deadspot is too big. Which means even hovering is a challenge …

I’d get yourself a radiomaster TX12 or boxer if you can, worth the investment, and have good resale value (lol I’d take a 2nd hand boxer if you end up hating it!)

1 Like

Hovering is one of the harder things to do in fpv. Every beginner thinks it should be easy… its not. Even experienced pilots can struggle.

Fpv is all about moving.

Or put a laccy band on it to the underneath

I did not get on well with Freerider and a gamepad.

Home · CurryKitten/CurryKitten-Sim Wiki · GitHub Work well on linux (and believe other OSes). Works well with a gamepad controller and there is more ‘air space’ to make mistakes and learn. $0 directly and/or available on Steam and App Stores.

Look at getting a ‘proper’ controller, but Gamepad and CurryKitten allows me to get some hours in the sim easily.

Good that at least you found something free/cheap to make it work with your gamepad. So much better with the Transmitter… Which one are you looking to buy?

Which one are you looking to buy?

For now :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125869988777

Then maybe a Radiomaster TX12 Mk2

Never seen that one before, assuming it works, it should be better than the gamepad for the sims…

The TX12 is nice for sure, the boxer is also a great option (especially due to its more powerful transmitter)

But either will be a good purchase.