Low tide Sunset at Mudeford

Last night I decided to go out with my MP and have a go at the sunset, as the conditions looked ideal.
I met me photographer friend with this MA2 at the water’s edge near Mudeford Quay (Christchurch).

We were out for about an hour and used 2 batteries apiece. The light was great, and the low tide at the harbour edge was full of detail and interest.

My phone recorded the scene better IMHO, and I think the videos were better than the stills.
Here are a few JPGs

Mdeford Quay and Mudeford Spit, showing the ‘Run’* between them and the Isle of Wight in the background

• The Run is the entrance to Christchurch Harbour, very narrow and has strong tidal streams

Cropped from 4:3. Shows Christchurch Harbour, and Poole bay with the cruise ships in the background

MP 4:3 shot

MP 6x 4:3 vertical shots stitched

MP 5x 4:3 horizontal shots stitched of Mudeford Quay and Spit, with Hengistbury Head on the far right

13 Likes

:clap:

These add the Coastal Flyer and Golden Hour Flyer Badges to your profile! :+1:

Thank you Dave, I feel most honoured! 2 badges from one trip :smiley:

The ‘inner Muttley’ has been seriously satisfied, got my ‘medals’ hehehehehe.

Cheers

Tre

The last of the sun disappearing, just for good measure. 4:3 cropped to be a better landscape shot.

3 Likes

With two drones up, I was hoping for a silhouette in front of the dropping sun shot!!!

Next time… :wink:

Great shots buddy, looking forward to the video- was trying to get down Evening Hill to do the sunset last night but ran out of time… Next week!

1 Like

Hi Paul, hope you make it next week, that would be a great location.
I was out over the sand earlier in the year on a dull day, but a sunny evening would be perfect!

I’ll see if I have one to post of that flight…

What like this??? :joy: Your wish is my command…
I did happen to take a couple of shots when the MA2 was in front of me.

This is the better of the 2, particularly as it’s in focus…

The Evening Hill pics are on my gaming / editing PC, so I’ll look after work

1 Like

Ha ha top man, thanks buddy, I often wondered how the pics turn out when there’s multiple drones flying around- and if the “perfect shot” gets photobombed by another drone!!!

Did a couple of batteries at Longham lakes again on Saturday- lost connection a few times (not sure why, there’s not really any interference there) and so lost my nerve flying over water after that called it a day before I got the shots I wanted. It’s bang on the edge of the NFZ for the airport but don’t thing that caused the issues. Oh well, another excuse to go back and try again!

You’re welcome, you need to get quite CLOSE for the other drone to look significant in the image, a bit of extra concentration is required there!

That’s interesting, how did your pics come out? I hadn’t thought of flying there.
My M in Law lives at Bear Cross and I have been meaning to see if her garden is in the NFZ or not, just to see how the DJI system works. I’ve never tried doing anything daft like that.

Would have been great to get pics and video of all the BA jets at Hurn in lockdown, we may have had a bit of success with CAA & ATC as there was so little air activity then.

Pics came out ok, lost connection when I was going further afield to try and get a nice sweeping video coming in showing both lakes- wasn’t particularly far but something causing interference (I blamed it on the pylons!)
Think BC should be ok, the lakes were just on the edge. Had thought of going down behind the Bridge House and flying along the river but that would definitely be in no go territory so scrapped that one! The DJI system is cool, tick 3 boxes in the app and off you go!

I did think that, someone did for which I assume they gained permission.

1 Like

Meant to ask you buddy, have you ventured towards the cruise ships off the bay? I’m not brave enough going out that far with the mini but you’ve got a Pro haven’t you?

I have not, my long range bravery over water disappeared when I lost Pro No1 in the sea! There’s a post about it somewhere.
@Gkinghrn lives right on Southbourne Overcliff and has taken his MA2 over to them at lease twice.

The ships change their position daily, and seem to be further out at the moment.

If the wind was SW and I could fly out against the wind sensibly to get there and dash back down wind I’d consider it, but I am still a learner and happy with definite VLOS.

BTW, I did promise to look out my images from flying at Evening Hill over the winter.

Here’s a stitched panorama of Whitley Lake from just by East Dorset Sailing Club. You can see the end of their pier bottom right.

2 Likes

Ah shit man, sorry to hear that.
Never even thought about them moving about- assuming they have engines running 24/7, hoping they’re not polluting!
I did think about if the wind was blowing in the right direction and contemplated braving it- but got sweaty just thinking about it!

Great image- can hardly see any boats moored up in the harbour, did you ‘remove’ them or is it more likely my failing eyesight?!!

Thanks, it was an expensive lesson. :grimacing:

The thread about it is here.

No image manipulation used, other than joining 5 or 6 photos.

At that time year there’s very little out on the harbour and most moored boats will be safely stored ashore.

Between the main channel and Sandbanks it’s shallow inshore, so nothing will be moored there.

I think taking a Mini out to sea to the ships would be super brave, as they aren’t as stable in the wind or as fast against it as their bigger brethren.

As things improve, we should be able to have a local meet up and see different sorts of UAVs in action.

Ah man, I thought you were talking a while ago, didn’t realise it was so recent. Definitely an expensive lesson. Sorry for your loss.

Def up for a meet up- maybe not over water though :wink: