MA2 straight flight stutter

Ok so I took my MA2 out for a quick fly yesterday and had a slight issue. When I was flying in a straight line at any kind of speed it would fly at the speed you would expect but would every now and then stutter as if I had lifted off the throttle. I gave up pretty quick as I was over dense forest and didnt want to lose it if I had a malfunction. When I got home I checked for updates and found 2 of my batteries were asking for firmware updates. Ive now updated them and will head out this evening for a test flight and see how it goes. Has anyone heard of or seen similar issues or got any ideas? I think it would be strange for a battery needing a firmware update to cause this kind of problem when the batteries had been working fine previously. Any thoughts welcome cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

Has the Mavic Air 2 got obstacle avoidance sensors on it? If so, that’s the cause (combined with lighting conditions at the time). There are various threads on here about it.

If there is no OA on the Air 2 then ignore this post completely :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Rich thanks for the reply. Yes it does have OA sensors front rear and below. I did clean them as that was my first thought. I will search for the threads on here and take a look cheers :+1:t2:

Hi, may not be the same but on my M2P if I fly to fast the OA kicks in and it stops , I think at speed in wind the pitch makes it look down and that stops the drone , it does it quite a bit but if I am at height I just stick it in sports mode

1 Like

It’s less if they are clean and what they are looking as that what they think they are seeing … particularly if facing (and, with rear sensors, facing away from) bright skies around sunrise/sunset.

So - first try with them turned off and see if that problem goes.

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys appreciate it. This is the first time its happened so far. I was well above the trees. Was middle of the day so no sunrise/sunset but was a very bright day. It was in Normal mode and seemed to be as it gained some speed and got its head down it would slow as if Id lifted the throttle then after a second or two would gain speed again. I think you all maybe onto something. I had the volume down and was flying by eye so didnt see any warnings. Ill tapke her out this evening and see how I get on. If it happens again Ill watch the screen for warnings etc. :+1:t2:

I found if stood near trees with the controller the signal drops significantly, moving back helped. Check the signal on your controller. Otherwise as others said.

1 Like

Do you use UAV Airdata app ? That shows all flight data . It’s a great free app very useful

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The signal was strong the whole time. Ive just confirmed that by using the UAV Airdata App Scottydog recommended. I think the issue was as the others have said, the OA sensors and the lighting. I took it out early this morning and had no issues at all for one and a half batteries worth of flight.

The Airdata info gives all the messages, like sensor warnings. You might be able to tie it into them.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Ive downloaded the UAV Airdata App and had a quick look at thr data for that flight and its not showing anything unusual. I think it was the OA sensors and lighting on the day. Ill keep an eye on it but its been fine since :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Thanks Dave Im out in the sunshine at thr moment and can barely see my phone screen but Ill have a proper look when I get home and report back :+1:t2:

1 Like

Ok so been through the data with a fine tooth comb and everything looks good. Obviously Im not familiar with UAV Airdata App but in the ‘sensor’ section it only has the signal, compass and gps? Should it have OA sensor data in here too? In the ‘general’ tab under overview it says 0 warnings too. Should it record if the OA sensors detected anything? Or have I done something wrong/looking in the wrong place? :thinking:

If they trigger, yes.

Mine is switched off - but it warns of that too …

… and other things (but not seagulls!! :rage:) …

1 Like

Ah ok then no the sensors were not activated

So I guess that means that the sensors were not the cause of the stutter :thinking:

1 Like

:+1:

… not that it solves your real issue … just eliminates one possible cause.

1 Like

Absoultely. Well it seems to be ok for now but I will keep a good eye out to see if it happens again. I did wonder if it might be strong gusts above the trees but the pulsing was so perfectly timed I dont think it was gusts :thinking:

1 Like