Mavic 2 Pro flight - Lymington

Callum, the uncut footage was a bit stuttery too unfortunately. I edit on a 2014 5k iMac and use an external SSD to put the 4K footage on for editing. Off the top of my head, not entirely sure why that particular segment juddered but will hopefully sort it out by process of elimination. Any tips gratefully received!

1 Like

Think your on the right track with the slow card error.

Do you have the spec or a photo of the card you were using?

I thought the memory card may be the culprit it’s a common problem
You will find a big difference when you get your new card in
I bought a new one when I got my Mavic hasn’t failed me yet would love to see a new video once you get the card

2 Likes

I notice the YouTube is @ 24fps. Was that the recording fps too?

1 Like

It is a Sandisk 64Gb Class 10 but probably 18 months old or so therefore not as fast as new ones. 4K might just be a step too far for that particular card. New one is due today or tomorrow so will put it in the M2P straight away! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

It’s probably a U1 card then.

Just make sure any card you use is a U3 or V30 and your good to go.

I think so. It was 24 or 25 FPS but i’d have to take another look. Any surefire recommendations?

2 Likes

Certainly best for the two to be the same - or multiples (record @ 60fps, render @ 30fps) since otherwise that can introduce a stutter @ slower fps like 24.

2 Likes

Callum, the new one is indeed a u3 card.

1 Like

Spot on.

With regards to the frame rate I’ve found setting M2P to NTSC and 30fps to give best results for 4k.

Are you using HQ mode or full FOV?

1 Like

FOV. I have Ben shooting in PAL but will give NTSC 30 FPS at 1/60 and see how I get on especially once the new card is in. The ND filters won’t arrive for a couple of weeks so will try to avoid very bright days for now.

Do you leave your footage in 4K or downscale to 1080 for general use? I do have a 4K tv but cannot stream to it in that resolution through the Apple TV as it is only a 2nd gen box.

1 Like

I leave it in 4k.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your frame rates on bright days.

I used to follow the double shutter rule on MP using ND filters.

With the M2P I’ve not bothered and footage still looks great.

1 Like

I agree with @callum - ND filters aren’t the important issue to start with.

I rarely use them, since only really needed when there’s significant movement to slow the shutter to add some blur on a really bright day - and in 60fps they almost don’t add a thing - the frames are too fast for you to notice any difference.

When I’m taking stills, I want the lowest ISO and the fastest shutter (OK - the MP doesn’t have variable aperture - which is another factor for you) so that I have pin sharp/noiseless still images.

Since I tend to take stills and video in the same flight, I’m not inclined to keep bringing the MP back to take an ND off or add one on - so, unless there’s good reason I don’t bother.

I keep everything I shoot as original - usually render to 1080/30 - but res/fps I shoot in depends what I’m shooting and what I want to do in the edit.

I do stick to the 30/60 fps, though.

1 Like

@OzoneVibe and @Sweetbaboo99

Hi guys I live between Bournemouth and Christchurch, so not far from you guys. If you are going to get together somewhere in the not too distant future it would be nice to join you if that’s OK.

I never really got into taking videos, probably as I’ve not had a video camera, although it is possible with the DSLR cameras I’ve had. So this was one of my reasons for for getting my MP after seeing what my adopted son in India could do with one. So you guys seem to know a whole load more about it than I do, Dave has helped me loads already with getting panos sorted out, for which I’m very grateful!!!

4 Likes

Will keep you in the loop re a meet-up! :+1:

2 Likes

Great, thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s what it’s all about mate :smiley:

1 Like

Totally agree if we didn’t enjoy it we wouldn’t do it
it’s a learning process just takes a little longer the older you get :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:
Well it’s true of me

1 Like

Although not Lymington, I didn’t really want to create another topic so here is the footage from my first flight with the M2P.

2 Likes

Additional topics are not a problem. :ok_hand:

Another good example of what the M2P can create! :+1:

I know that area a little - I’ve walked from Hythe to Lymington across the Forest a couple of times. :walking_man:

1 Like