Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom?

Check out @merlinflyer post here:

2 Likes

Iā€™m faced with exactly this dilemma right now. Pro or Zoom! Great reading all your honest opinions which I have found really helpful, particularly @ian.faulkner Thanks.

Some have subsequently bought (via eBay) the ā€œotherā€ camera/gimbal so that they can swap them over.
A couple of screws and a cable, I believe. #BestOfBothWorlds

2 Likes

Nice to know the option is there if I make the wrong decision. Iā€™m wavering towards the Zoom at the moment. To be able to get close shots without flying too close is appealing. I tend to do do a lot of editing in post In Lightroom on stills anyway so as long as I can shoot raw with the Zoom I think it might be enough for me. Famous last wordsā€¦

2 Likes

Although the zoom has a 22-48mm lens it does not really work out as 2x when compared directly to a M2P especially in video HQ crop mode.

It will get you closer shots compared to the original MP but not as close as you might think with an M2P if your doing video.

That was my main disapointment as was used to the FOV on the pro before getting zoom.

Itā€™s fine for stills though and you really notice the difference.

Where the zoom does shine is how versatile it is from wide angle to perfectly framed shots without moving the drone.

Both great cameras and like @OzoneVibe mentioned itā€™s really simple to swap between them if you later decide you want the other.

2 Likes

Yup, yet to try the Zoom on my Pro (as yet).

3 Likes

Thanks @callum that is really useful. Joe

Please do post how you get on @chrisjohnbaker, I would be really interested to see how it works. Thanks!

@Callum has posted, some time ago ā€¦ and

Itā€™s a really easy swap. I know heā€™s swapped between them many times, itā€™s that simple.

I believe @Sunseeker may have done this, too ā€¦. since he bought the MP camera for his Zoom.

1 Like

Yup, was Gary I bought the Zoom Camera from.

2 Likes

Ahh! :+1:

2 Likes

This was taken with the Zoom - up close with a weathervane on a local church. The dents are reported to be from bullets fired by Buffalo Bill when he toured the UK promoting his wild west show.

3 Likes

Plenty of stunning zoom pics have been posted ā€¦ including some of the #POoM winners!

eg ā€¦

1 Like

OK, so I am not able to thank you for posting this video link @BrianB as I was slowly bringing myself round to the idea of finding a second hand Mavic Pro, especially given some of the accessories included in many of the offers. And then you posted this.

Now Iā€™m back to rethinking the whole thing because I know I will always be thinking ā€œWonder what this would have been like with a Mavic 2Proā€. :scream:

1 Like

Hereā€™s another great comparison, specifically between the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom.

1 Like

That was useful. Iā€™m going Pro instead of Zoomā€¦there. Decision.

4 Likes

ā€¦ and then get the zoom gimbal/camera to swap in when needed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:

2 Likes

Joe, you almost made that sound easy.

2 Likes

It is a tough oneā€¦but my mind is now made up!

2 Likes