Mavic Air night shot of Floodlit football ground...HELP

Hi Guys…
Been asked to take some pics of a floodlit football ground tomorrow or thursday…checked all drone rules and looks like i should be ok to fly…im looking for guidance on settings etc to make sure i get the shot…pic is to be posted in a prominent place withing the club…900cm x 600cm…so not small…brickin myself…lol

Probably really difficult for anyone to advise without knowing the intensity of the flood lighting and reflectivity of the grass or artificial surface.

Pointers …

You’re wanting to enlarge it - you need to keep noise down = keep ISO as low as possible.

The lower the ISO, the longer the exposure … and the more chance of movement being visible in the enlarged image. So - as little wind and turbulence as possible. (There have been some superb still-air evenings around my way recently - but things are gonna change the next couple of days.)

If this were me, I’d set up exposure bracketing. Specifically, I don’t recall what the MA can do in this respect… But, if possible, I’d fire off brackets of 5 exposures at +/- 0.5EV at several ISO settings.
With the longer exposures, anticipate some being crap due to slight movement, and repeat a few times for any with exposures of longer than 1/30sec.
Then it will be a case of sitting down and sifting through probably 100 pics to find out the ones you like the best.

At least if you have to repeat, you can check the image exif for the settings used on your preferred photos, and aim to match those settings.

1 Like

There’s some info in this thread too @Terry1

For a 9 metre wide shot I’d be manually taking several and stitching them into a Pano. That’s a hell of a size to stretch a low megapixel image up to.

2 Likes

Terry1 Hi im no expert but on my night photos I found auto focus was a no go. Pin point what you want clear and manual focus on that. I did shutter longer for blur but you won’t want that and iso 100. View your shots has you go. Night quality aren’t as good so not sure if you will manage that size.
Like I say I’m no expert. Good luck

1 Like

I would recommend to use the tripod mode. It works perfectly on the MA.
Other than that, like @OzoneVibe mentions, shot many times, then you can chose the best afterwards. On the mobile, the all look “ok”, it is on the pc that it’a a different matter.

Please share the results. I’m curious about it.

One shot isn’t going to work I don’t think

Capture

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/printing/1_calculators.htm#Print

2 Likes

Wow…thanks for the replies guys…
MA only has a small sensor so 100 iso is a must
Cant change the aperture on the MA so the only variable is the shutter speed…
Wind tonight is 11mph and thursday is stronger
so the plan for tonight is…
frame the pic…first step…shoot some 4K video at 100iso…i will take the shutter speed way down as i only want some snapshots from it and see what i get
second step…switch to camera mode…iso 100…and mess about with the shutter speed again…i will remember to have tripod mode on…if i get anything i will post on here…btw…size wanted is 900mm x 600mm…he misspoke…3 times in conversation…good job i hadnt took the shot already and ordered the print hey…
Thanks everybody who replied…

1 Like

You would want the lens wide open anyway so 2.8 is your friend in this situation.

That wont keep the drone any steadier, just make it move slowly, this wont help shooting stills ;o)

2 Likes

Didnt get chance last night…a tad too windy…supposed to be even worse thursday night…hey ho…lol