Mavic Enterprise Dual Review

I think I would rather buy a Mavic 2 Pro and attach a decent thermal underneath it !.

1 Like

I sure do, I shall do a side by side.

Trust me it’s night and day different! The XT will pickup a sheep or deer from 2km away easily and you can fly on pure thermal (you have no choice), I would not recommend flying the M2ED on only IR!!! You’d crash, it’s wank!

3 Likes

Quote of the day right there mate :rofl:

1 Like

Had a look at one of these a while back. Conclusion was it was a toy. The Parrot is about the same level and a grand cheaper.

1 Like

Did you share a review/comparison anywhere that we could take a look at?

Really interesting vid. :+1:

Why the hell bar the obvious ($), would DJI release something thats more gimmick than anything else?

Like you I was hoping for more!

1 Like

Did the Parrot do a heat detection too?

If you needed to find missing cows it’s fantastic :wink:

I’ll do some at night where I hope it will perform better.

But I agree, the Mavic air frame deserves a much better thermal sensor.

DJI is a disgraceful ultra-capitalist company seeking perpetual growth with zero regard for customers. Product is without doubt excellent.

Gimmicky, absolutely yes. The gullible and uninitiated will buy them buy the pallet load.

I wonder if the Flir One is capable of more…DJI would 100% detune it to protect XT.

Part of their conundrum is that they have people willing to pay 10k and people wiling to pay 1k. The reality is that technically there is very little difference between the latest DJI aircraft - apart from the selling price. So they have to create a difference. I understand their logic, I just dont agree with it. And frankly I hope DJI gets absorbed by its own greed.

1 Like

I’m no expert in animal thermodynamics, but for an animal at a stable temperature energy in = energy out (although some of the energy out may be lost by means other than radiation). The key difference between the heat signatures for the sheep and cattle must therefore be due to the sheep having a lower energy consumption (metabolic rate) which will be a function of both their smaller body mass and their ability to lose energy more slowly thanks to the thermal insulation (fleece).

In practice, sheep have a significantly lower metabolic rate than cows, see page 19 of a scientific paper which suggests cows have between 3 and 6 times the metabolic rate (and hence energy output) of sheep. It also suggests that the energy output for a human is closer to that of a sheep, which I guess could have implications for using the Enterprise Dual in search-and-rescue.

1 Like

However ….

2 Likes

They’re also woolly little sods! :wink:

1 Like

Sorry its been a while, but for those interested in the comparison of the Mavic Dual to a Zenmuse XT on an Inspire 1, here’s the video from the Inspire 1 and XT.

1 Like

You could almost hear the deer saying “Blimey … at any time of year that sounds like a mahooosive midge …. !”

You’ve got me for first refusal on that Zenmuse XT, right? :+1:t2:

What height / alt / distance were you, do you know? Trying to gauge the effectiveness.

Great insight, thanks for sharing @Longstride!

1 Like

Tricky one as ground height changes. I picked them up from over 200m away then hovered over them between 40-60m I’d guess.

The effective range of the XT is huge it’s a great bit of kit and still holds its own against the XT2 in thermal (the same sensor!). You just can’t have visual and thermal on same air frame.

The smaller dots near the deer are pheasant! It’ll also pick up grouse!

2 Likes

Physically picking them up would be handy! #Lunch! :wink:

3 Likes

There’s a case there for doing the Inspire 1 FPV mod I guess.

1 Like

George @BigGUAV can I introduce you to Glenn @Longstride :blush:

Glenn has been counting deer with thermal for a few years now, scroll up and check out this thread, along with a couple of others:

And

There are probably more, @Longstride will know :blush:

2 Likes

Hey @BigGUAV nice to e-meet you! My inspire and XT are actually for sale if you’re interested!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes