Mavic Mini motor covers

What are people’s thoughts on motor covers for the Mavic Mini. I understand why DJI have left them off to keep the published take off weight below 250g.

I do however feel that the motors appear exposed to dirt, sand etc.

Covers are available for about £5-£10 so do people use them?

2 Likes

They look like the best possible way to kill all ventilation and make your motors run hot. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Hand launch and catch mine all the time :wink:

1 Like

ah, the wise words of the 8, now 7 fingered milkman :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Covering up the motor ventilation on any drone probably isn’t a good idea :blush:

Neither is covering up the grill on the front of your car to stop the radiator getting dirty :+1:t2:

3 Likes

:love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

:point_up: :joy: :joy: :joy:

One of the more severe ramifications will be throwing the balance of the motor off, especially as they’re kv2900 and small. I believe one or two folk who used similar devices on their Parrot Anafi’s reported issues with jello, and increased heat as the motors had to work harder with the extra weight.

They also serve no practical purpose.

Nidge.

1 Like

4 grams? :open_mouth:

As stated, it will kill the airflow and the motor.

2 Likes

I’m glad this subject came up. I’d just bought motor covers through Amazon but still before delivery so just cancelled the order and saved £8.99. Bought a landing pad in the same order to avoid dust etc anyway and don’t need the motors overheating.

4 Likes
1 Like

I take the whole point of these covers is to get the motor to run hotter and less efficient. Some joined up thinking is required before coming up with a design change… :thinking:

I see there was a bit of a debate on here a few days ago regarding these , definitely quieter with those on and sounds smoother , maybe they kinda balance the motor / props hence quieter , smoother sound , should people be fitting them I don’t know as I’m sure the motors are designed that way for a reason :thinking: ( to breathe as such ) air flow and cooling !
Not for me to say for certain tho as I’m not that technical when it comes to things like that I’ll let the jury decide .

1 Like

The only thing you need to realize is that these covers are made of anodized cnc machined stainless steel, not iron, therefore, they will dissipate heath before you even think about them heating up, and especially in flight, come on! In motion through the wind and elements? The heat will never be an issue.

1 Like

Direct airflow over the coils is far more efficient…they are just “gimmick bling” they don’t enhance flight performance, they are meaningless added weight…

2 Likes

:man_shrugging:t2: how about if your working on it and it’s stationary and or not flying threw the air ?
Motors running

If you then said well “ take them off “ that would be hassle :+1:t2:

:point_up_2:this

Just hand launch and catch if confident or get a launch pad , as everyone is also saying added weight , I’d again also wonder why this is or was not a design from factory , my theory might sound nonsense but I would not be blocking off the air intake / or grill on my motor or capping off the exhaust , only saying my opinion !
Not trying to cause a debate :+1:t2:

If DJI thought they were a useful addition I’m pretty sure they’d be selling them at 20 quid a set for some extra profit? But they don’t so I’m pretty sure they’re useless. Especially when you see some of the other useless accessories they sell.

2 Likes