Mavic Mini signal drops at 200m out

Got a mavic mini and had it out today and it loss Signal only up in the air 40m and distance was only 200m and losing RC signal and should this be happing at all thank you

In an urban environment, yes, that’s about right.

Same here 50m for me, take it rural no problem

1 Like

And didn’t @DTH return his in sheer disgust at the signal levels? :grimacing:

1 Like

200m? Jees!

1 Like

I had to press the return to home button on my RC and it did come home lucky

And I was in a field and houses was near buy and I thought I lost my drone to be honest

On a UK model Mavic Mini with CE power levels, yup :grin:

Yes

So I got it wrong here is my flight details when I loss signal and the wind took it but it returned to home lucky enough

“Strong wind warning. Aircraft unable to return to home position automatically. Lower altitude and return to home manually”

On the MP and M2 it will fight the wind even if it’s not getting anywhere. Does the mini just think “fuck it I’m not going to bother”?

Did you have to fly it back manually? I’m wondering what would have happened if you lost signal altogether.

Do you use Airdata? Wouldnt mind seeing the log for that one.

1 Like

I press the return to home button on the RC it said RC Not connected to aircraft

I did thought I’ve lost my drone because I could my screen on my phone went blank and I lost all Connection to the my drone all together and it’s said the RC it not connected to the drone at all but all it said it was return home Manually and it come back to me

1 Like

I did not fly it back Manual It’s just come back it’s self

The Mavic Mini uses what DJI term as Enhanced WiFI. The enhanced part may possibly be in the coding and the error correction but it is not in the RF signal itself.

Below is the spectral plot from my Spark which uses the same tech but with a different code, DJI do not make one controller to rule them all.

This is an Othogonal Frequency Division Multiplexed signal (OFDM). The thick orange wavy line shows the individual Phase Shift Keyed Carriers (PSK) that make up the overall signal. This overall signal is fairly wideband and has a high duty cycle which means there is little that can be done to dynamically improve the signal to noise ration. Another big drawback is such a system is not frequency agile which means it cannot dynamically change frequency if interference appears within the signal bandwidth.

In contrast here is the spectral plot of the FrSky D16 ACCST system.

This system uses many discrete carriers that switch 100’s of times a second. Because each individual carrier is very narrow in bandwidth the resultant signal to noise ratio, for the same power used in the Mavic Mini, is far greater which results in a much greater range. It is also frequency agile and will dynamically react when interference is present. I’ve yet to have a failsafe with this system and I have flown quite some distances.

To maximize the range of your Mavic Mini you could try manually selecting a clear 2.4GHz signal. This band has two advantages.

1. In simple terms it propagates further than 5.8GHz.
  2. The RF power used is 100milliwatts compared to the 25milliwatts used on 5.8GHz.

I believe the DJI Fly APP, like the Go4 APP shows a channel plan in the settings so you can select a channel with minimum interference.

It’s also beneficial to ensure the antennas on your controller are optimally positioned and you are facing the drone.

Regards

Nidge

3 Likes

Thank you very much Nidge I totally understand what you mean and I will always fly with 2.4gh

How far have you got with your mavic mini then thank you

If that question is directed at me, @Shaun1983, I don’t have a Mini. I have a Spark but I’ve not used it to break any distance records, I use it more as a flying tripod for relatively close in work.

Nidge

Nidge. What hardware are you using as a spectrum analyser to connect to your pc. I’m assuming that is what you are doing. Can you recommend one? Also can you recommend an oscilloscope adaptor too? Up to say 6ghz. That’s cheap lol.