Measuring wind speed

Does any one measure wind speed before they fly at a location? If so what device do you use?..ok I know the trees move, the clouds travel across the sky etc :smile:

1 Like

Dave,
I think a few people use something like this, but not recommending it, I don’t have one.
Cheers
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anemometer-Measurement-Thermometer-Helicopter-Windsurfing/dp/B01LZXM0LP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537812670&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=anemometer&psc=1

I have one as @mickydd has posted, its good and very accurate, for ground speed only of course.
As we all know, what goes on several meters above is another matter.
B

3 Likes

I also check on UAV Forecast and check the wind profile tab as shown below.

4 Likes

Thanks both of you for your rapid responses.
Any more suggestions?

1 Like

ditto, as above.
I have an anemometer like the one above, but , only good for ground speed.
UAV Forecast give height’s and speed

If it looks like this, dont fly and have a beer instead…LOL

7 Likes

Sod the beer !, go storm chasing !!

3 Likes

Now that looks a great way to get on the leader board,150 MPH mavic 2,anyone? :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I was out in something on Saturday. The message cam up ‘rotor overload’ so I waited a while and then returned to home :sunglasses:

I have the Hover app which has a wind speed read out, but to be honest I tend to think your own judgement is the best guide here. If you’re not comfortable flying in that wind, don’t.

4 Likes

And lots of toilet paper for when it hits you :poop::poop::poop:

5 Likes

This helps me with wind info.
Just replaced the aerial and moved it all to a different chimney, and added a solar panel for the wind unit (even though the two batteries had lasted 3 years!).

Being just 500m from the Southampton Airport’s weather station, the airport METARs are really useful and accurate actuals (I really don’t trust forecasts! They can be totally inaccurate.).
So I can open just one eye in the morning and see my weather station display. :wink:

1 Like

Or use the tv aerial and check the morning news which updates the weather every half hour :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Only joking I don’t have a chimney :frowning:

1 Like