Mini 2 at 1.5km altitude šŸ˜±

This guy is nuts.

1 Like

Total novice ā€¦

mavic pro altitude record 9654 m, quadcopter with gimbal altitude world record

5 Likes

Seemed to be descending quite quickly at the end - I wonder if it crashed and that is why the video cuts off

2 Likes

Some idiot did the same with the original mini a while back. Could be the same guy, I havenā€™t watched itā€¦ Itā€™s like the total idiot in Hawaii, that flies miles from his location to see how far various drones will go, without losing them or having them force landing miles from his location. Seems nobody wants to have their channel or videos taken down and no action ever seems to be taken against them, even when quite a few of them are quite well known.

On the other hand however. If you can prove without a doubt, that there is ZERO possibility of any traffic, in the air above you and nothing on the ground that could be damaged or people that could be injured, if said drone , dies and falls from the sky. I see no reason why you canā€™t fly it at high as you dareā€¦ I will admit my first ever flight with the mini, went above 700 metres. WHY? because the max altitude was set far too high. I soon fix that and have it set to 110m now, plenty high enough thanks. Must say though the view I recorded was very good and the mini handled that altitude perfectlyā€¦The big problem is wind speed and I guess I was juts very lucky. It may well be fairly light even at max altitude. but above the clouds, thatā€™s asking for trouble. .Even private aircraft can have problems at that height.

Anyway, whoever this guy is, I hope someone can track him down and fine him heavily. While he may well have gotten away with it and caused no problems on the day, but people like this, publishing videos like this are not doing the law abiding community any favours at all and they need to be taken out of the mix.

Oh and saying ā€œDonā€™t try this at your placeā€, thatā€™s like telling your kid not to do something. You know damn well they will , giving half the chance

NOTE: If you take off from that altitude, it would be perfectly legal of course, since the max height you can fly, is measured from the point you took off from, not sea level. So one bit of advice is to take off from the highest point in the location you want to film and learn to fly down hill not up.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Posting a video of flying 1.5km high! Phhhh. Anyone can do that!

3 Likes

Looking at the local topography in the video I suspect he may live somewhere without a 120m limit

1 Like

Wasnā€™t it limited to 120m? Wow :wink:

If I could gain lawful permission, then I would happily attempt such a test.

1 Like

If you fly a fixed wing FPV you can fly to a max ceiling height of 1,000ft in unregulated airspace.

2 Likes

For bloody hellā€™s sake! Heā€™s in the Philippines/Indonesia where the rules may be significantly different.

Itā€™s not as though he took off looking at the Houses of Parliament, FFS!

2 Likes

I was speaking to a guy last week from the Philippines. Houses are cheap, life is simple. Really temptedā€¦

5 Likes

GreyArro.ph ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Isnā€™t that the same for any flight at any height ?

2 Likes

Much like driving at 150mph on a UK road, really. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

1.9km :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I can see the attraction for cloud spotting. A hobby of champions.

3 Likes

When I used to fly, I could get totally distracted by the cloud formations ā€¦ and when I was flying fast little things, they were great to perform aerobatics around.
#HappyDays

3 Likes

Hats off to you Dave. Iā€™ve had this overwhelming fear of heights since forever. Hopefully I can take a trial flight again and overcome my fear. Just basic flying though. Maybe fpv will be the closest iā€™ll come to your crazy stuff

2 Likes

One thing I found interesting was obviously he just flew the drone straight up and despite the strong wind warnings the distance never increased to more than 0.4m , it was in sport mode and didnā€™t seem to be having any problems ā€¦however was it only flying for 12 mins and a forced landing occured ā€¦I suppose continuous lift might drain the battery quickly ā€¦something I wonā€™t be copying ā€¦fly safe fly responsible fly again !

2 Likes

When I bought and built one of these over six years ago, with almost zero restrictions, this video was a big deal. Apart from being illegal in most countries, it seems a bit tame now.

I must get both the 450 and 550 flying again.

1 Like

Must be a great view from your soapboxā€¦ :wink: