Mini 2 No More

As the title says, my mini 2 is no more, as it’s now at the bottom of the River Clyde in Glasgow :cry:
I’m not sure if the two are connected, but yesterday afternoon I updated to DJI Fly 1.5.4 and yesterday evening my mini 2 went out of control.

I had just completed a 10 minute flight, photographing the Glasgow riverside and had landed, when I realised there was one other photo I wanted. So I re-started the motors, went up to about 4m and sent the mini 2 over the edge of the river. It suddenly started speeding up and didn’t respond to the sticks, it veered in an arc back towards the riverside railing, crashed in to them and dropped in to the river. It all happened so fast and I’ve no idea why it suddenly took off like that.

Commiserations John.
I lost my Air 2 to a river last year, and it is not a nice thing to happen.
Unlike your ‘fly-away’ mine was down to my own ineptitude/ lack of experience as the power lines that I hit were visible but perspective led me to believe that I would miss them.
The feeling of losing £1000+ drone due to one silly mistake made my stomach sink into my boots.
I am very nervous now when flying over or near water.
Rob

3 Likes

Absolutely gutted to hear this, John. My sincere condolences 🙇‍♂️

1. Was this with a phone or the smart controller?
  2. Are there any details in the Notifications tab of AirData that can provide a clue? Feel free to share.
  3. Is it covered by DJI Care Refresh?
3 Likes

Yeah know the feeling Rob, though was glad it wasn’t my M2P.

1 Like

Shame you aren’t closer, got a brand new sealed one sat here doing nothing

2 Likes

It was my smart controller Chris. There’s nothing I can see in notifications except ‘GPS signal weak’ at 17secs, but that’s at the point when it hit the railings. Yeah got care refresh, just trying to figure out how to claim at the moment.

2 Likes

Fortunately, DJI now covers Fly Away on the Mini 2 from last year.

Flyaway Coverage

If the aircraft flies away or gets disconnected and goes missing, you can now synchronize flight records, report your missing aircraft, and pay a replacement fee to get a new product.

1 Like

:frowning_face:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about this John :disappointed: I know you loved that little drone. Hopefully with Care Refresh you’ll be able to get a replacement nice and quick mate :crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

Sad to hear this - hope you get Care Refresh sorted and are back in the air soon

2 Likes

Thanks Steve. Just finished my care refresh report. My one year plan expires on the 22nd of this month, so just made it, thankfully.

5 Likes

Thanks Martin, don’t know how long it’ll take but hopefully it’s quick.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about this. Noting this is not the first time someone has reported a drone not responding to controls near the River Clyde (although that was further west). Am I being paranoid to link the two incidents?

1 Like

Not sure. I’ve had lots of flights around the River Clyde, though mainly just west of where I was last night (down by the Science Centre & Glasgow Tower), but never had any issues before. The BBC & STV studios are here too, could they cause interference?

Must be heart breaking watching that happen and having no control over it, I’m sure the care refresh will sort you out, I’ve not flown my mini 2 yet but brought the 2 year care refresh for piece of mind ,

1 Like

Gutted for you John - hope the refresh gets sorted quickly.

Understand there are 2 versions of Fly 1.5.4 for Android ie Build 1365 and 1390. Apparently, on the DJI forum, DJI have stated there is no improvement between the 2 versions but the cynic in me would question why DJI released a second version so quickly - I guess something needed fixing :man_shrugging:

Maybe worth checking which build version you have on your SC. :+1:

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

The only time my ini 2 went haywire was in the dark when it refused to take off due to poor light. I put a torch on it so it could take off and shortly after that it started practically circling and was clearly out of control as I wasn’t even touching the sticks. Thankfully I was in an open space and got it back on the ground safely and quickly. I can only assume for whatever reason the GPS had gone nuts. I took off again, and it was fine.

I’ve got in the habit of just letting it hover for a few seconds first and to only go upwards before venturing off in any direction just so I can tell it’s not doing anything weird, but when you land and take straight back off, you really wouldn’t expect it to do anything weird.

2 Likes

Will do, thanks John :+1:

Yeah, I do the same, checking all stick movements, before heading off.

No definitely not. It was flying normally only minutes before.

If you replace the drone get coverdrone insurance they are good

1 Like