Mini 2 panorama shots with too much sky

I have been well impressed with the Mini 2, there is one little nigle which is when taking a 360 panorama shot it goes too far up taking too much sky. I guess one to get around that is to descend the drone and then less sky but with that you will also loose some of what you are looking down at.

I seem to remember on the M2P you can limit the how far the camera looks up in the gimbal settings, i have not been able to find a similar setting with the Mini.

Does anyone know this can be done, or do I hae to live with it or fly the M2P when possible.

There is I think it’s in the camera menu, something like “Allow Upward Gimbal Rotation” and it is just a tick box.

I personally have it on and tend to take my panos from the max height but I am still very new to photography let alone drones so wouldn’t take any inference from that haha.

I think even with the maximum upward gimbal setting both drones revert to ‘normal’ for pano mode.

3 Likes

Thanks for yor comments, I just had a play around and I did find the upward rotation switch and I left it off. I would still like a bit less up on the gimbal, but I could not see any way to do it.

I did however find pitch and yaw speeds and smoothing, it has settings for cine, normal, and sport. I reduced the speed and increased the smoothing for normal mode, which should help to produce a better video.

I have a question.

Exactly what do you think a 360 photo (panorama) is?

My take on this would be a photo (panorama) with a 360’ view of the position the drone is in when it takes the photo.

Ergo: 50% of the photo would be above the drone.

Please excuse me here, I am not being derogatory in anyway, I just don’t understand what your take on a 360’ photo (panorama) is.

I have an insta360 one x2 and funnily enough. That takes 360’ photos (panoramas) exactly the same as my drones, (50% of the photo is the sky) obviously altitude is the key though.

I would advise to try an altitude of between 30-60m but then again the location can dictate the actual altitude required for the shot you may require.

Intrigued :thinking:

3 Likes

I hark back to the fantastic Hangar which used to default at 74m , a perfect altitude I have found

1 Like

I have the same question :blush:

A 360 pano should contain precisely 50% sky.

If anything, you’re being short changed and not even getting 50% as the gimbal can’t point directly up on a DJI Mini :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve got 90m in my head? :thinking:

4 Likes

Easy fix for this if it’s a Mavic. Take a photo of the underside of your drone and paste it into the missing %age of the 360 photo. Simples.

In terms of 360 panoramas from a drone it means on the horizontal plane and below.

That is not possible.

I haven’t seen any drone where the camera can look straight up, and even if it did it woulld only see a small part of the underneath of the drone.

If you limit the gimbal upward movement on either the Mini or an M2P the gimbal can only take images from the horizontal to the downward vertical. If you then yaw the drone it can take images anywhere between the horizontal and downward vertical and a stitched combination of those images can produce what we call a 360 panorama image.

What I would like to do is to limit the gimbal movement so that it can only come up to say 20deg below the horizontal, thereby reducing the amount of sky in the panorama image.

Parrot Anafi - full 180 degree movement :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Have a look my manual efforts with the Mini long before panorama was an option

So I think the issue here is that the Mini does not have an option to take such a panorama, it will only do a wide-angle, a 180-degree pano, or a spherical pano. The 180-degree pano is a horizontal pano. The spherical pano absolutely must capture imagery from above the horizontal plane, the clue is in the “sphere”, and this is the same as in the other DJI drones with spherical pano mode - they capture as much of the sky as possible.

Otherwise it wouldn’t be a spherical pano.

If you want a 360 horizontal pano, your only option with the Mini 2 is to take that manually and stitch afterwards.

1 Like

:exploding_head:

1 Like

360 spherical panos with almost every camera there is, are never perfect, since there is always something blocking parts of the view, which has to be recreated by siftwore, usually badly, but as a few mentioned earlier… a 360 spherical pano, contains as much of the view around the drone as possible and limiting the camera from upward motion, would make the resulting pano even worse, since when stitched it would have to recreate even more of the sky, that the drone cannot record

I love the 180 pano shots, but for me 360 spherical panoramas are more of a gimmick than something truly useful… 360 spherical interactive videos however are a different story, but cannot be done with a Mini 2, unless you mount a 360 camera to one, which would be madness and probably very unstable, even if it could actually take off.

Talking of automantion (at least to me) quickshots are so boring, as several youtube drone flying pros will say, practice flying those things manually. Looks so much more professional when you nail then flying manually and you can add your own little tweaks and style to them too.

The clue may be in the “sphere” but it can’t look up so it can never take a sphere, so DJI should have used a different term. Perhaps hemi-sphere would have been better, there always has to be some fill in the final image, the software on the Mini 2 and the M2P can do that for you, but the MP doesn’t so you have to do it in Photoshop or similar by increasing the canvas size and filling it in with something.

They can be if you upload the image it produces to something like kuula.co that then produces an interactive 360 panorama that you can then share to various social media or get the code to embed it on a website like this.

That looks really good, much easier to et it do it on its own now though.

Not an option on many a drone though ;o(

I shall certainly give this a go, or even lower depending on the subject.

1 Like

I just had a look at the properties of a couple of individual panorama images, one at Salisbury and the other at Glastonbury, it shows the GPS coordinates and the altitude, Salisbury was 131.321 and Glastonbury was 12.328.

So what altitude is that, my max height is set to 120m. I did go high at Salisbury to get the spire in but not more than 120m form point of take off, and I know for sure I was more than 12m up from the point of take off in Glastonbury. It does not even make sense if that was altitude above sea level, Glastonbury would be submerged if it was.

Had a look at a couple more from Plymouth and Looe where I was no more than 5m above sea level but Plymouth shows altitude of 66m which could have been about right, and Looe shows altitude of 1.7m which doesn’t make any sense at all.

Anyone any ideas?