Mini 2 weird connection issues/losses (start of flight)

@milkmanchris they have happened at separate locations with 300 miles apart.

Got to eat my words!

I took the Mini 2 out last night to photograph Mary’s Shell (an art instillation on the beach at Cleveleys) at sunset, when in the second flight over the sea (but only about 15 metres away with no obstacles in between) the message “Aircraft not connected with controller” appeared on my phone’s screen (Android 10). The screen froze but the aircraft still responded to the sticks and I was able to safely recover the drone.

After a reboot of the drone, controller and 'phone everything worked fine for the third flight.

I had a holiday in Scotland last month and used the drone many times over open water and land with no issues whatsoever. I flew the Mini 2 a few times at different local spots over the weekend, again with no problems until last night’s issue.

1 Like

some strange things are happening with this little drone. still love it though.

I’m curious if it’s actually a full disconnect or an issue with synchronisation of the video stream.

In the picture below is a snapshot of my Mini2’s Ocusync2 transmission on 5GHz. The O2 system uses two different signal types. On the left you can see the six groups of pulsed frequency hopping carriers. I have peaked held the spectrum as these pulse many hundreds of times a second. This is the control and telemetry element of the Ocusync2 signal.

The wideband signal spanning between 5740MHz and 5760MHz is the Video downlink portion of the signal. This is a OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex) signal made up of four elements each 5MHz in bandwidth. My suspicion is that the recent software update is having issues syncing the video and therefore reports it as an RC disconnect, when in actuality you may still be able to control the Mini2.

I haven’t updated my Mini2 to the latest release but if I have the time I may do and and try and replicate the disconnect while observing what the Ocusync2 signal is doing, or not doing.

1 Like

Are people recalibrating the compass before each flight? I do it as habit and yet to expierence this problem, fingers crossed.

1 Like

Interesting point. I didn’t recalibrate the compass for the first and second flights. However, prior to starting my third flight, a message appeared on screen telling me to do just that. I did so, and as I report, had no problems on my third and final flight of the evening.

I usually only recalibrate if I receive an onscreen message advising me to do so. Perhaps I should follow your example in future. :+1:

I would be interested to hear of the result of such an experiment, Nidge, if you go ahead with it.

1 Like

Hi there. Are you running the latest dji Fly V 1.4.8?

I don’t believe iPhone 11 is supported on earlier versions.

Yes mate. All on the latest firmware. App, drone, batteries all up to date.

Had my first ‘disconnection’ today … latest app/firmware. Only a few seconds each time, but the Mini 2 was only about 100m away in direct line of sight.
The signal graph kept flickering - one minute it was high, the next nothing showing …

Makes me nervous using it now. Never had it with othe DJI drone models :frowning:

Has anyone had the same issue after using the fcc hack?

What phone / tablet where you using ? If it’s Android the app no longer likes many Android things , I had to switch back to Apple as after latest updates my Android screen became very unreliable for flying on the fly app.

Yes, Android S10 … everything has been fine up until today though. I hope they fix this in the next update.

Good luck with that wish lol , we where ok until they started the rapid updates so v1.4.0 was the last update that was ok after that everything went wrong, I have a Huawei mediapad m5 lite was on there list of approved but when many of us had problems and raised them they just removed it from their list , I tried everything including rolling back the version but it just updates next time you switch it on , in the end I totally lost confidence in flying the mini 2 so I went back to using the apple iPad mini 5th totally perfect again and my confidence restored.

There is loads of information here on some of the issues with the Fly app

You can uninstall the current version and install an older version but you will need to turn off auto-updates in the app and in the phone settings, most have gone back to 1.4.0 or 1.4.2

There is a beta version of the troubled latest on trial, but I haven’t tested it yet… 1.4.8 (1185)

You can download it and the others from here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1No6Y6900jugASpW_LB7UDL6GevH4WVg5

So it’s the app that’s the issue, rather than firmware on the aircraft/controller ?

Indeed , one app for the mini , mini 2 , air 2 , air 2 s and smart controller seems they fix one problem and cause 20 more , Apple is DJI’s preferred partner so it seems any Apple problem gets sorted fast , my mini 2 now thankfully fly’s perfectly and faultless with Apple , if you read the other posts on the fly app updates post you will see it’s the app on Android that’s now a problem.

1 Like

Right, so I’ve rolled back to 1.4.2 - will see how it goes :crossed_fingers:

Good luck hope it works for you just be careful of it auto updating, many of us had this even after turning off auto updates , even tried totally deleting everything DJI from the device and still it would update and it all starts again , the last good version for most was v1.4.0 . There is shed loads of advise if you search for the post DJI fly app updates . Fingers crossed for you though as the mini 2 is a awesome little beast .

Had a good fly around today (didn’t get anything for the competition yet though :grin: ) no issues at all with 1.4.2 so far :point_up: