Mini 4 pro and filters

Sorry if this has been asked, searched and couldn’t find relating to the Mini 4 and filters.

I have read any filter can ‘mess’ up the gimbal, has anyone found this, or not with the Mini 4 pro

Thanks

Did they define “mess up”, Shane?

Poor quality ND filters are often made of heavier materials which means when you fit the filter and power up the drone, the gimbal will fail it’s self-checking tests because the additional weight is too much for the small motors.

Sometimes those (poor) filters will catch on the drone body, causing the checks to fail due to the obstruction.

Sometimes, again due to the weight, the gimbal will constantly buzz as the motors are under a constant strain just to try and keep the gimbal level.

To get around this the manufacturer will sometimes tell you to power on the drone first, then when the gimbal has done it’s self-checking, you should hold the gimbal with one hand and fit the filter with the other. Not something I’m a fan of either :confused:

All/any of the above could “mess up” the gimbal.

Good quality ND filters (eg. PolarPro or DJI) are often made of stronger, thinner and lighter materials so they do not cause any problems.

If you could elaborate on any horror stories you’ve seen or heard @Shane22, I’m sure everyone here will share their experiences.

Thank you. ‘Mess’ up was mine description. Heard of catching, the gimbal goes made won’t align

All you have said makes perfect sense, thank you. I was thinking Freewell, they seem to be some of the best, so I guess the weight

As it seems like I’m about to receive a mini 4 pro for my birthday , is there now any really good ND filters available for the mini 4 pro ? I have had a look through the subject but most posts are fairly old now so just asking if anyone could recommend a brand and set that work well please .

Happy Birthday @scottydog :birthday:

1 Like

@scottydog I’ve used these on my mini 3 Pro and now have them for my mini 4 Pro Scott. They are pretty much all you will ever need to obtain the right exposure for 180 rule filming. Freewell make great quality filters and clip on the same way as the standard lens cover.

3 Likes

Thanks guys I will take a look , I have polarpro for my other drones but I was concerned about the weight for a mini 4 , I’ve had freewell and skyreat as well but have seen reviews saying not a good fit but most reviews are good , I would go for the DJI ones but I mostly use a ND8 , 16 or 32. But most sets seem to have a very few low strength and more very high strength for the mini 4 pro . Anyway thanks as always .

2 Likes

@scottydog Hi Scott, Forgot to make it clear above that the m3p filters don’t fit the m4p but I used the same Freewell manufacturer’s All day NDs.

I had absolutely no issues whatsoever with fitment on both drones and they clicked into place as the original lens cover did. Also the case soft housing has one that is reduced in size so the originsal lens will fit in with its lid closed.

I use ND 16 on a dull day, ND 32 on a bright day, but mostly use ND64 on a hot very bright summers day. I also used the ND1000 successfully to take a photo of a waterfall.

1 Like

Thank you , yes I had seen the mini 3 filters don’t fit the mini 4 typical lol , I haven’t owed a mini for ages as I much prefer the bigger drones but with all rules now and all the Karen’s I’ve decided to give the mini 4 pro ago as my other half bought me the avatar but as I fly mostly alone and it needs a spotter she sent that back and has apparently bought me the mini 4 pro instead so I hope it’s good , the reason I posted about ND filters is I’ve read a lot about the camera often lets in to much light apparently so I thought I better get some , on my other drones if I use a filter it’s a 8 , 16 or sometimes a 32 but I will take your advise onboard and try a bit higher than I normally do . Thanks again .

1 Like

I decided to try Variable ND Filters ND 2-32 and ND 64-512 and no problems.

1 Like

I think I’m going with the freewell mega pack as ok there is a half a dozen in there I will never use but the rest look useful

2 Likes

I’m after advice on ND filters. As a starter I’m not sure what to look at first.
Seems that the ND64 is a good starting point. I know DJI sell a pack of three, would this do for now?

1 Like

@Andyc350 I have moved your post here, lots of info ;o)

1 Like

@Andyc350 I’ve used the Freewell Day 6 pack on all my drones for video but don’t bother with them for photos (unless you want to use the ND1000 to get the waterfall milky water effect for waterfalls)