Minimum safe height over water mini 2

Hahahaha

What’s that a pond hopper a water boatman😂

1 Like

I’ve tried a few times with mini 2 on a river looked calm no problems flying left or right but as soon as I hovered above river it would drift like mad so don’t be near over hanging trees.

1 Like

I managed to accidentally put my Mini 2 into automatic landing today so it could be a risk for a new flyer like myself.

I was messing around on the local (frozen over) golf course practicing my control of the drone with various manoeuvres.

I was trying to fly slowly down a sloping fairway, and maintain a level distance from the ground as I did so, when it suddenly started to land. I suppose I may have faltered on the forward stick.

I expect if this does happen you should be able to abort the landing by pressing the cancel button but it completed the landing while I was still panicking. Luckily the ground was fairly smooth with short grass but I was worried about the propellors.

I have been doing a fair bit of flying over a local river and I was tempted, a couple of weeks ago, to try some low flying down some gentle rapids but I’ll think twice about that now. At least until I have a few more hours of practice under my belt.

1 Like

[How to Fly Safely Over Water - DJI Guides]

Can’t view this video?

1 Like

Fine here!

1 Like

Thanks Each

That will probably be because the VPS uses InfraRed and water does not reflect light at this wavelength so appears invisible. So while flying over water you’ll be reliant on the Barometer to maintain a constant height. Depending on conditions the Barometer’s output can vary over a few feet.

3 Likes

Is it? … on the Mini 2?

It’s not on the MP - it’s ultrasonic … but I don’t know which method is used on the Mini 2 … or other models.

1 Like

1 Like

Just had a look at the source. It looks like it’s an old 8-bit mov file which I think 64-bit Windows Chrome can’t play, just the sound.

Look on the Grey Arrows website. It works there as others have reported.

On the MP the VPS is a combination of the two end ones (visual cameras for binocular vision) - and the middle two are ultrasonic (transmitter and receiver … can’t recall which is which without taking the cover off).

1 Like

Well - I’m on Win10-64 using Chrome and can see it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I also know it’s one effing scary surprise watching the MP impact the ground when the coming into land at a normal speed and the VPS fails to slow it down.

A strange VPS failure that was solved by re-flashing the firmware.

I also now know how high an MP can bounce without damage!

2 Likes

using Edge and I cant :man_shrugging: I downloaded it and viewed through VLC

1 Like

Could be a difference with installed Codecs. Do you have latest Quicktime installed?

1 Like

Yeah I ended up doing the same. I don’t ever install codecs because I only use VLC or PotPlayer to view video files.

If you have not already get yourself a (free) airdata account, have a look at the flight logs it will tell you exactly what you did with sticks.

The flight logs on DJIFLY will also tell you but not in as much detail.

1 Like