Missing location on the membership map - Unst, Shetland Isles

Hello all,
My wife bought me a drone for Christmas (and as a retirement present too) - this is a brand new hobby, although I did have a radio controlled aeroplane in the 1980s. I’ve looked at your members map to see how many other club members live near me but I noticed that my home isn’t on the map! I live in the UK’s most northerly isle called “Unst” within the Shetland Islands. Best Wishes HarryH

1 Like

I think you’ll find that it is on the Members Map … if you drag the map downward?

And Unst appears in available locations when you enter it into your profile.

1 Like

Hi @Colliedogs and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi Harry and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hello and welcome Harry, post some photos and videos of your isle as soon as you can please!
Enjoy your retirement!

1 Like

@Colliedogs welcome.
I bet you have some stunning scenery around you?
Looking forward to the videos.

1 Like

Welcome Harry to GADC :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Hi

We stumbled on Unst for a holiday by chance 20 years ago! It’s like marmite though: most folk love it, but a lot of folk from England can’t get used to only having 5 or 6 daylight hours during the winter solstice and 24 hours of daylight during the summer solstice (called Simmer Dim)! My profile picture is Muckle Flugga lighthouse which was built by Robert Louis Stephenson’s grandad. When young Robert came to visit his grandad, our island gave him the inspiration for Treasure Island! The Treasure Island map is virtually the same as the OS map of Unst! We only live a few miles from the site of the buried treasure! We can see Skeleton Island from our bedroom windows!! We also have some amazing displays of the Northern Lights in Shetland. This month sees the start of several Viking fire festivals (Up Helly Aa) which goes on until March.

Cheers HarryH

2 Likes

Hi Harry - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hi

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Hi Harry

Visited a few times. Easily in the top five places I’d move to without a second’s hesitation if the opportunity ever presented itself.

1 Like

welcome Harry to GADC, have fun flying your beautiful island

1 Like

New to this as well and have to say the forum looks like a great source of information, suggestions and advice.

We do know where you are, after having too many delays and a few lunches in the Baltasound Hotel…. A lot of nice flights around the island that I could enjoy the view, someone else was doing the driving. Then we got sent to Scatsta……

1 Like

Hello , welcome to the club from the other end of the country… Fareham Hampshire :smiley:

1 Like