Mobula 7 HD Toothpick Conversion - "New" build

I quite like it. Its a lot better than some I’ve heard on FPV vids.

Anyway great flying!

1 Like

Thanks Richard.

I can relate to that, peoples taste just vary. Good thing we have the mute and volume controls… :smiley:

2 Likes

Came for the tricks, stayed for the music. :laughing:

1 Like

Those flat blocks with the nice flat walls are crying out to be dived, or maybe a wall ride or reverse wall ride. :stuck_out_tongue: Good video though.

The spot on the crux3 video I posted has the taller buildings which are even better for the dives. I’ve done some half-ass ones already, but when there is wind (most of the time) its a bit iffy for me at the moment to do them… I’ll try to get some shots from it soon.
The thing with the wall rides is that those are all residency flats, and I’m not confident yet to pull some stuff on the “small” gap between the floors. Don’t wanna cause any issues with the residents… Having said that , there is one spot were there are no flat windows which I have tried some on the past, its a short bit, but can be pulled without much worries.

Another nice day for flying.
Was able to test the build with a 3s lipo (gnb 550) and it flew great. I really enjoyed it, more so than with 2s. Going forward I’ll lean towards those a bit more…
I stopped the test at 80% output limit but based on what I saw on the OSD it should go to 90% safely. On the bench, connected to BF, the draw is over 6a which is beyond what my esc can handle, so can’t go to 100 on this setup on 3s.

Here is a video I put together of todays practice session, the last 20 seconds of the video is with the 3s, but not sure you can make anything out of that since its a cut of the flight, which was just over 9 minutes.
(this spot that I fly has a ton of wifi interference from the flats and probably some from mobile as well, its not constant, some days are worse than others, and today wasn’t the best)

4 Likes

You did a rewind at 00:17 :+1:

Well, its getting there lol Its the side lock rewind I’m shooting for, I think there are a couple (tries) on the video actually

You are getting more precise in your movements. Beyond the rewind, did I see some other Sbang moves in there? That backwards loop that Headmazta does in most of his videos.

Still the dives are definitely really good. I think the tower block was especially good. A decent height dive. :smiley:

Tks dude, I guess all the flying is paying off. Recently I started getting into the habit of recording and watching the dvr after to try to analyze the parts were I need to pay more attention to, guess this is working out based on your comments.

On the taller building they were a bit distant from the wall and I pulled out very early, if I fix those two parts I’ll be happy already with things. There is also the factor of getting used to doing that, which on the beginning feels very nerve wracking.

I don’t know about sbang movements, but I’ll take it lol If there are, they just came out naturally and not intentionally aimed at sbang style.

I only like them because they are complex and hard. The style doesn’t really appeal to me (I like to loop and flow), but the tricks are really showy and teach you quite high precision control, so there is that. Some like the eject are useful for getting speed quickly after stopping dead. But no, the whole headf**k level of watching Sbang is nice, but I don’t have reactions like that.

I just like to fly and not get too technical, just enjoy the experience. Or as Nick mentioned yesterday, get that crazy adrenaline rush. But for me after 2 mins of that I need a time out. :wink:

Must make an effort to head down to London and hit some spots this year. Would love to fly those locations you fly and dive those towers. :smiley:

I don’t know my style yet… I like watching all different kinds of things so eventually I might develop a bit of everything… Its freestyle for a reason :smiley: Having said that, I do prefer more flowy flying than those quick speedy tricks, so that’s a direction I’ll always tend more to.

If you are ever in town do let me know, we can fly some packs around for sure. :+1:

1 Like

Some more tests with the 3s, now at 85% and although it seems like it can go to 90 with no problems, I’ll leave it here just to be on the safe side.

Also created my first shorts. Its just some dive compilation:

1 Like

Had a lucky mishap today whilst flying on the 3s pack.
I have set the PID profile to change on 3s, which has a motor output limit set to protect my weak esc.
Well, last time I flew, this worked as intended but not today apparently.
I flew the pack once in the morning and another this afternoon. On both it didn’t activate the profile change, which means it flew on 100% motor output. I did notice, especially this afternoon that it was a bit snappier than I remembered but in the morning it didn’t occur to me to check the profile, only in the afternoon pack did I notice it and changed it manually.

Good news is, nothing burned and it could handle everything just fine. The max current was 13a, still some room for the 20a max I have on this fc/esc, but the way I fly currently doesn’t push it that hard, if flying more aggressively then I believe it would hit red and possibly cause something to burn.

It was nice to know how this goes at max output, there is a noticeable difference from the 85% I was running before to 100%. I planning now to leave it at 90% and keep monitoring it to see how it goes and reduce or maintain based on those observations.

Just thought to share the experience for those who have been reading along the development of this build.

1 Like