My delve in to the world of the DJI Inspire

My Inspire mods continue… :grimacing:

The ‘regular’ Inspire ships with the Zenmuse X3 camera (which I’ve since replaced with the Zenmuse Z3) and in case you haven’t been following the story thus far, most of the mods I’ve done are edging my originally-base-spec’d Inspire ever nearer to the spec of the Inspire 1 PRO or RAW.

This mod sees the original X3 gimbal mounting plate on the bottom of the Inspire removed, and replaced with a gimbal plate that will take not only the X3 but also the Zenmuse X5 and the X5R (RAW) cameras too.

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that since going end of life, parts are being sold at rock bottom prices as suppliers don’t want old new-stock on their shelves that they can’t shift.

As per, I picked this up for a song on eBay.

Using it’s full title, this is a “Zenmuse X5 Spare Part No 2 - Vibration Absorbing Board”.

Inside the box are three bags.

The bag on the left contains some leg extensions (I’ll come back to that at the end of this post), the middle bag contains the main gimbal mounting plate itself and the bag on the right contains the two vibration absorption mounts.

This is the top-side of the mounting plate, pay close attention to it as you’ll never see this side of it again once it’s mounted.

At the bottom of the mount are to lugs on a hinge arrangement. Lots of people seem totally baffled as to what these are for. These are specifically for the X5R camera (not the standard X5). The RAW camera has an additional plate on the back of it which the X3 range don’t have. So unless you have the X5R, these lugs are redundant.

At the top of this plate are two ribbon-cable connectors which pass through the underneath, for the gimbal.

On the flip side then is the familiar quick-release connector, with dust cap in place here.

Dust cap removed to reveal the bayonet fitting and connectors.

These two brackets get screwed on to the airframe itself, the plate in the above photo then mounts over the rubber vibration absorbing points shown here.

There’s also a bag of screws in the box too, and some concealed threaded nuts.

The bag containing the feet.

So that’s everything in the box :+1:t2:

Right then, on with the mod!

The first step is to remove the existing gimbal plate.

This just pulls up off the rubber bungs. Remove the rear first as the front is hiding some connected cables.

These two connectors need removing, use a small flat screwdriver to press in the release pin first.

The old gimbal plate now removed,

Next up, pull out the old rubber vibration bungs, you won’t need these any more.

Now the tricky part, assembling the new gimbal plate.

Why is that tricky? :thinking:

Because this kit comes with NO instructions.

It’s was like the bloody Krypton Factor tying to work out which way up these parts went :roll_eyes:

So for your benefit, some close ups of the correct orientation of each part, should anyone else wish to do this mod.

Top view.

Bottom view.

Sideways front.

Sideways rear.

By the way, you’ll need a small allen-key bit for this next part.

But before we get to that, I also picked up two sets of replacement ribbon cables for a couple of quid on eBay too.

These are officially known as “Spare Part No 17 - Fast Mounting Gimbal Port Cable”.

Interestingly, the replacement cables (bottom) are wrapped in a protective sheath, the original cable (top) is not. I wonder if there was some fraying being reported :thinking:

These next steps are of course optional, if you’re careful removing the old plate and connectors you don’t need to do this part.

Anyway, strip the Inspire down to the bare airframe so you can get to the other end of the connectors.

The cables connect low down.

While stripped, I also noticed another connector which I’d not paid any attention to before.

Any idea what this might be for?

@Gadgerman any ideas, Chris?

Anyway, new cables connected, you can see here why I think there may have been fraying reported as the unprotected cabled would rub against the metal of the airframe as they exit here.

Ok, cables replaced - onward with the mounting!

Connect the cables to the new gimbal plate.

Then this little metal plate needs to slot in to these two holes.

You can then screw the front of the plate to the airframe.

Now for another bloody fiddly part…

These little captive nuts need placing INSIDE the airframe…

You can see here I removed one of the side braces to give me more access.

These can then be screwed in place too.

Here’s the end result :smiley:

So that’s it, job done.

It’s not an overly complicated mod, quite straight forward with no gotchas :+1:t2:

With the Z3 camera attached.

Shiny :sunglasses:

Now then, on to the leg extensions!

I mentioned very early on in this thread that the Z3 camera is quite a bit bigger than the X3 and because of that it sits dangerously close to the floor. I’m guessing the X5 does the same as this kit includes some leg extensions and sticky pads to attach them with.

They look like shoes when attached :blush:

I didn’t have tape measure to hand to show the height difference, so you’ll have to judge it against this box.

Before.

After.

Depending on which case you have, those leg extensions might cause you troubles - heads up :wink:

4 Likes