My First Time - Be Gentle

So that happened. I wasn’t expecting to get out to my first flight today and then the sky cleared, the wind dropped to zero and the temperature went up to 3 Degrees.

I slapped on my Operator ID sticker and took to the road.

I found a nice quiet field, away from everything else. Started everything up and then noticed an SD card error in my preflight checks. I tried formatting the card, but still the same error. I grabbed the SD card out of my car’s Dashcam and popped that in the Mini. Same error, formatted, same error.

I was trying to use on of these;

No working SD Card

So I wasn’t about to turn around and go home, so I completed the first time tutorials and then launched. Whilst very nervous I had a great (but very cautious time)! I think I only flew for about 15 minutes and that was a series of tests, landing, taking off, flying a loop around the field. Testing Return to Home. Manual landings etc. My goodness the technology has come a long way since my first brush with drones. It was stable, responsive and (for the most part) did what it was told.

I noticed that when I clicked the photo button, it seemed to take a photo. Likewise, when I clicked the video button it seemed to be recording video.

Arriving home I recalled that there had been a discussion about how the Mavic could still record, but to the phones internal memory, rather than the SD card. I checked my phone and the Photos app was reporting the creation of a new folder. I looked at the internal DCIM location and there were indeed new photos from todays date. But I am not able to find any videos.

Does the Mavic Mini record video to your phone if not card is present?

If Yes, where would I find it please?

I guess the Mavic Mini is as sensitive about it’s SD card as it is where and what you can install the app onto.

Plug it in to your PC/Mac and it should been seen as a removable drive the Mini that is.

Turns out tests on this humble Samsung SD card work :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Working SD Card

I have ordered a couple of their recommended “Lexar 633x” cards and will see how I get on with these.

Is there anywhere on the forum where members can list cards that worked and cards that did not? I know that there are a couple of sites that list compatible cards, but they seem to differ in what they consider compatible so it must be quite a mix.

Unfortunately my only electronic memory of today’s first flight will be this;

A lot of people here go with these mate:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FCMBLV6/

Currently only £14.85 from Amazon directly (avoid re-sellers on Amazon, waayyy too many fake cards out there).

5 Likes

Got to agree 100% with Rich on the Sandisk front.
I would not use ANYTHING else !.

2 Likes

Anything U3 / V30 should work fine like the Sandisk posted.

1 Like

Thanks guys, just ordered a couple of these as well (Spares!). Much appreciated. :+1:

2 Likes

There are a great number of memory cards advertised on eBay. There are some amazingly cheap deals - AVOID! Memory cards seem to be one of the biggest area of fake items and fraudulent trading.

Go for one of the specification recommended by the drone manufacturer and try and find a reputable seller. Sandisk are great cards but they are probably the most faked. I don’t know of a sure-fire way to be sure of a dealer - maybe we should move the thread onto recommending trustworthy sellers as well as the best (genuine) cards to use …

Amazon, no quibble returns

*sold by, don’t trust the Marketplace

2 Likes

Yes, the ones I ordered earlier are from Amazon, if they don’t work they’ll be going back.

1 Like

Although it costs a bit more,i normally get mine from well known high street retailers. that way i can be (almost) sure i get the real deal… :wink: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Amazon are good for cards, I usually get the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

A good seller on eBay is mymemory-uk on eBay they have over 420,000 transactions with a 99.5% feedback rating, I have used them on numerous occasions. They are based in Jersey but no issues over that.

Agree My Memory every time :+1: just purchased a 64gb Extreme Pro

Or for those non trusting of all Ebay and Papal

I hadn’t noticed the Drone logo before on these SD Cards.

1 Like