My good drone deed for the day!

I got a call from my daughter’s riding instructor about a lost dog in a large field of a tall crop. Apparently, it had yanked the lead out of its elderly owner’s hand and run off into field for a play and hadn’t come back. This happened at 8am and a group of neighbours had been searching the field and surrounding area for nearly 12 hours with no sign of the beast. They were worried that its long retractable lead had got tangled and the dog would be stuck somewhere. One of the searchers had seen me flying in a local field and so I got a call for help. I agreed but I didn’t hold much hope as I hadn’t had time to recharge my batteries after a previous outing and my best battery had only 60% charge on it. The light was also beginning to go a bit when I got there after 8pm. Anyway, I began to fly over the less assessable part of the field. After a few minutes barking was heard from the middle of the field which continued and got louder as I few nearer to the source of the sound. I couldn’t actually see the thing with my drone but someone was able to locate it and untangle it. Not sure if it was just a coincidence that dog started barking or it got extra stressed by the sound of my M2P. Anyway, I got some of the kudos for finding it and drone flyers seen in a less negative light. :grinning:

13 Likes

Cliff well done and a positive outcome for drones…

1 Like

Nice one Cliff !

1 Like

Well done that man :clap::clap::clap::clap: @GADC_Committee do you have a “rescue badge”?

1 Like

Well done, deserve a medal, good positive outcome for using a UAV.

1 Like

Can I ask where you live.
I received a call last Sunday morning with a request to fly my drone over a barley field to locate a lost dog. In North Perthshire

We agreed a fee as I would need to drive around 80 miles to get on site, I stated that should I be half way up the road and they found the dog I would still require a fee to cover my time and mileage.
They suddenly called back to say they had found someone local.
Has this happened to anyone else and if so what was the outcome
Dusty

A different lost dog, I live in Wiltshire

Well done mate, it’s nice to hear a good news story :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Well done Cliff :+1:

1 Like

Of COURSE it wasn’t a coincidence… Nice one! Drones… friend to the animals… We should try using them for dog walking next, although a dog attached to a drive by a lead is somehow disturbing…

1 Like

Join us at “Drone SAR For Lost Dogs UK”.

Well done for helping to find our four-legged friend. We have a group on Facebook with 1500 pilots scattered throughout the UK. Many of our pilots are professionals but we all provide our services totally free of charge! You can find us on facebook.

We do have some success although I’ve been out a few times now and not found any dogs yet myself. This is probably because I live in London where we are somewhat restricted by the law that says we have to stay 500ft away from buildings and people in congested areas (i.e. urban) but I do check local parks and open areas.