Nalin's 5" FPV Quad thread 😊

Hi Steve,

Received everything in good order extremely well packaged. Thanks for that. I knew I couldn’t do anything with it straight away.

Sp these chargers you put on, are they gone? if so do I need three separate chargers or one charger that can do them all even if it’s one after another?

Second question is how do I connect the system to a Simulator. This may be a case of watching a Youtube video but you may be able to give this info in summary form and I can try to fill the details.

The props I should keep as spares should be 5" I believe? Also would it be ( not be) a good idea to have those prop guards around them if you can fit them?

I think that’s all the questions for now. I will read all the contributions and that may get me all the answers. Thanks again.

I have to now find nearly 100 hours of on the simulator! Easier said than done with a sweet grand daughter who always aces my time on earth

Thanks to all. This is a great place to be.

Thanks for the heads up @notveryprettyboy . I have to tone it down to like the cine mode on a DJI at the start! is that possible or am I going to be a kamikaze pilot on the first go? Thanks again…

No problem. Once you’re ready, we can talk you through it

1 Like

:+1:

One charger is still available, will do all, bit basic but it’s cheap and will get you started

1 Like

Thaks to all who kindly responded on this post. All have (as usual) been very helpful comments ( @Earwig @gunja99 @notveryprettyboy @SirGunner @Hotrodspike @Sparkyws ). I haven’t fired it up yet! So please help me through this. I have no idea what I have go myslef in to. When My son saw this, he frowned and asked “Dad really?”. There you go.

That set off my wife!

That’s the story so far…

Hahah. No worries. It is a MASSIVE learning curve…

First thing to do before powering it up… REMOVE ALL PROPS! Learn about betaflight (search joshua bardwell on Youtube), and watch his videos (I found 1.25 → 1.5 times speed is OK unless blunty who speaks quicker appears) about 7 times over… He has a few series on Betaflight (start with 4.3, I can’t remember what version @Steviegeek said was on here).

But ALWAYS remove props when testing inside and on the bench to start with! You can just connect it up to PC with a USB cable and configure/play/test some bits, without powering the ESCs (so the motors won’t work with USB only). So download betaflight configurator, then connect the quad to the PC, and see if it appears, that’s a nice start!

But yeah, just watch bardwell, over and over and over :slight_smile:

there’s the next week sorted :wink:

1 Like

You should be good to go.
Familiarise yourself with the transmitter switches and what they do.
You’ll have an arm switch. If Steve hasn’t said which one it is, it will tell you in betaflight which You’ll need to download and install.

My first recommendation is to learn how to hover it until you are comfortable with the controls. In an empty field.

If you unexpectedly crash or land, remember to disarm asap

1 Like

The quad is running Betaflight software version 4.3.1, the backup config file is HERE

1 Like

You should be able to plug the controller into your PC with a USB cable. If you do this while the controller is powered up then it should ask you if you want joystick or storage mode (you want joystick).
Most sims should then detect it and be able to use it. You may have to go through configuration/calibration in the sim.

I’ve skimmed thorough this and it seems to be thorough. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are the switch and channel asignments

“There is even a mini USB port for easy connection to your PC for updates or for connecting (via USB) to your favorite simulator programs.”

I think you have to set it for ‘Trainer’ mode, this is not an OPEN-TX/EDGETX radio

Apologies. My bad. Should’ve checked first. :slight_smile:

All Thanks. Thanks for the Youtube suggestion. So Downloaded FPV Skydive last night. I got the RC to be recognised by the software. That’s a start. Also managed to download the manual for the RC ( haven’t read it yet).

Hopefully the charger will arrive today. Can I survive with no spare batteries (for now) for the RC and goggles? I am ordering couple batteries for the Quad and props.

I like to get all my ducks in a row before I start out. The idea to start up the quad without props greatly helps in that regard.
Thanks to all.

A summary with just enough detail! :call_me_hand:

I like that one. Certainly a good starter. The physics are decent and you can’t beat the price. :grin:

1 Like

The goggles are EV800D, yes? I think it has a USB port which you can “charge/power” in field with a normal phone like power bank (I do this with mine).

If you only have one 4S/6S batter for the quad, you’re going to have 4/5 mins flying time! You definitely need more quad batteries (4 min i reckon, depends on field charging capabilities though you said you had a leisure battery which will connect to the charger in the field).

But before you go out and fly, really really to get used to and spend time on the SIM, and whilst I wouldn’t recommend using angle mode for long (get to acro/manual as soon as possible), your first flight or two it might be worth using angle mode, acro is just… completely different to what you’re used to with the DJI camera drones.

And I believe throttle is the hardest thing to get used to. Flying indoors with this is silly (dont try it, ever!) you want a big big open field (does the drone have a buzzer?), and low throttle.

Still… Spend your time on the SIM it will click, but will take some time, then real world… Well you’ll not land it flat for a long long time (and if you do, I’ll buy you more than one beer!)

1 Like

Oh there are some video series on getting used to acro flying, I can’t remember them now, maybe bardwell has some, but doesn’t spring to mind…

I think fly forward (don’t ever try to hover in the early, it’s very very hard), so just fly in circles, figures of 8, etc.

A couple I’ve just found…

This series seems OK:

1 Like

Yes

Thanks . That’s the plan.
It helped a lot when I tried to fly my phantom 3. There is an old simulator that still works. Once I am through with the SIM and I am sure I am comfortable with it, I will tone down the quad (If I learn how to do ti) so that I tame it’s power to a manageable extend and then ramp it up slowly.

I can remember how those FPV quads were spinning around at the big meet. That sort of stunt is not even in my horizon. Just learn to fly a different beast first.