Nano Long Range Build

Doesn’t look like much for a couple of hours squinting but I get lights without smoke when I put a cell in.

That chonking capacitor is going to be an issue. I may have to print a deeper case.

1 Like

You don’t usually need a cap on a small build. How many cells?

I did wonder. It’s just the single 18650.

I’ll laugh if the flight time is more than @Yith long range quad :rofl:

It probably will be…

If it ever gets off the ground. :roll_eyes:

@Yith s is weighed down with all the easy disconnect plugs etc heh.

Lol… the frame on mine is quite substantial… plus I’ve got all sorts of cool stuff on it. :slight_smile:

Tbh using them all over my new build…

1 Like

IT WORKS! :grin:

Well, kind of. It doesn’t seem to have enough juice, but maybe my cell needs charging, and I’ve just realised that the only way I have of charging 18650s is inside devices (goggles/TX12).

Also, the video/camera isn’t working. I’m wondering if that’s down to only getting 3.7V(ish) off the board, rather than the uplifted 5V. It could definitely be a wiring issue, of course.

The other big headache is trying to get all that crap under the cover. Removing the cap won’t even go half way to making enough space. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Nice job Jez :clap:t2: I remember seeing this single 18650 quad built in a video a while back. They said the cell needs to be a high discharge rated cell for it to work properly. I cant remember the exact cell they recommended but I think it was a top end Samsung or Sony cell from memory :thinking: Ill try to find the video

This is Bardwells video but there was another video which I cant find right now. Around 2.25 for the battery info

I vaguely remember seeing that, too. As usual, I have tried to skimp on things so my budget cells probably aren’t going to work. :laughing:

Sony VTC cells thats the type the other guy used too. Probably cost more than a lipo :laughing:

Actually not that bad, around £10 per cell

If you skim through Oscar’s attempt he mentions the high performance batteries and yet still had similar issues. Unfortunately he gave up on the project before getting it working.

I suppose I could drop some more money on a better power source. I’ve got this far. Maybe these?

Or I could cut my losses and see about redesigning for a LiPo.

1 Like

They might work. Would be a shame after coming this far not to try a high discharge cell. The trouble with 18650 cells is there are so many fakes out there that just dont deliver what they say they can. I had a couple of cheap 18650 cells in my Mambo and as soon as I switched it on it would drop from 4.2v down to 3.7v. It woukd continue to drop quickly and I could fly maybe 10-12 packs (just about enough for a session). I recently bought some better more expensive cells of the same rating and now when Ive finished a session the Mambo reads around 3.7v. Much better than the cheap (probably fake) cells :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi Jez,
I’ve got a Sony Murata VCT6, genuine, hardly used, bee happy to send it you for you to play with. :smile:
I’ll even charge it for you :laughing:

Lovely. I’ll take you up on that. I’ll even cover postage. :wink:

1 Like

I caught Postie in my back garden hiding a package in my barbecue. :astonished:

We’re off! Thanks, @Steviegeek :grin:

Now I just need to make something to hold its guts in and sort the video feed out. :+1:

4 Likes