Natural England and SSSIs

Living on the IOW which seems to have more than its fair share of SSSIs I thought I’d write to ask about flying drones in these areas, today I got a response but I’m none the wiser!

Here is the email :–

Hahn, Matthew

To:phil.sheath@aol.co.uk

Thu, 22 Feb at 12:28

Dear Phil

NE Ref: 2202241145JM

Thank you for your email which was received on the 15/02/2024.

Natural England has changed the way we respond to queries about protected sites**,** we will only respond to:

· consultations and queries we are required to by law (statutory)

· non-statutory queries that are specifically:

o Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) owner or occupier queries

o reports of damage or damaging activity on a protected site

o pre-notice advice requests under Natural England’s Discretionary Advice Service (DAS)

o submissions/requests of SSSI condition information

o about Natural England-managed National Nature Reserves (NNRs)

o England Coast Path queries

o about SSSIs in the process of designation or de-designation

On this occasion, your query does not meet these criteria so we cannot provide a bespoke response. We appreciate you taking time to contact us, and we hope that the information below will help you to resolve your query.

Find out about Protected Sites

Protected sites include sites of national and European-level importance:

· Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI): Guidelines for selection of SSSIs | JNCC - Adviser to Government on Nature Conservation

· Special Areas of Conservation (SAC): Special Areas of Conservation | JNCC - Adviser to Government on Nature Conservation

· Special Protection Areas (SPA): Special Protection Areas | JNCC - Adviser to Government on Nature Conservation

· Ramsar sites: Ramsar Convention | JNCC - Adviser to Government on Nature Conservation

· Marine Protection Zones: Marine Conservation Zones | JNCC - Adviser to Government on Nature Conservation

· Nature Conservation Marine Protected Areas: Nature Conservation MPAs | JNCC - Adviser to Government on Nature Conservation

Protected sites are designated for their wildlife or geological importance. These sites often overlap so one area might have multiple designations. You can find out more about these designations and the laws protecting them by selecting the links above.

Find out about a Specific Protected Site

If you want to know more about a protected site, you can use the MAGIC mapping system (https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx) to find out the site’s:

· boundaries

· link to its page in Designated Sites View (by selecting the ‘identify’ tool and selecting the protected site on the map)

You can search for detailed information on a specific protected site within Natural England’s remit through the Designated Sites View website: https://designatedsites.naturalengland.org.uk/

Flying a Drone on a SSSI

If you want to fly a drone over a SSSI your activity may require consent. The landowner or legal occupier may need to apply to Natural England for consent to permit the activities you wish to carry out. Natural England cannot provide landowner information as this would breach the Data Protection Act.

For more information on drone flying please see:

· The Drone and Model Aircraft Code includes a brief reference to SSSIs: https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual

· Government advice about drones and the guidance and laws surrounding their use: Drones: how to fly them safely and legally - GOV.UK.

· Civil Aviation Authority information about drone use: Drones | Civil Aviation Authority

· Guidance for owner/occupiers of SSSIs (may be useful for third parties wishing to discuss consent with owner/occupiers): https://www.gov.uk/guidance/protected-areas-sites-of-special-scientificinterest#get-consent-to-carry-out-operations-on-your-land

· Guidance on whether you will need to apply for a licence for disturbing or removing wildlife or damaging habitats: Wildlife licences: when you need to apply - GOV.UK

· There might also be local restrictions on drone flying. For example, the use of drones on any common land in Dartmoor National Park is an offence under the National Park Byelaws: Drones & model aircraft | Dartmoor

The National Trust have a policy of not granting permission for private flying from their land and properties: Flying drones at our places | National Trust

We hope that the above helps answer your query. If not, you can also search for information on nature conservation-related subjects. You can subscribe to the Natural England blog for important announcements and insight into Natural England’s work. You can also contact Natural England for general queries not related to protected sites.

Kind regards,

Matthew Hahn

Farm and Conservation Service

Natural England

County Hall

Spetchley Road

Worcester

WR5 2NP

Tel: 0300 060 3900

General Email: ProtectedSites@naturalengland.org.uk

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2024 7:00 PM

To: SM-NE-Enquiries (NE) <enquiries@naturalengland.org.uk>

Subject: Drone flying

[You don’t often get email from phil.sheath@aol.co.uk. Learn why this is important at Protect yourself from phishing - Microsoft Support]

Hi, I am trying to get clarification as to the rules around responsible small drone flying around SSSI sites around the west of the Isle of Wight, I do like to keep on the right side of the law but I also want to ensure protection of our lovely island, on the drone assist app the areas around Compton and all along the Military road show the area to be SSSIs and have ‘ground hazard’ and it shows that flight is allowed but may raise safety security or privacy concerns…I know the Police do drone training here but I would like to ensure it is ok for general responsible use?

A typical flight of mine in these areas will consist of finding a quiet public area, path, road, bench, lay-by and use this as my TOAL I then fly up to around 50 metres and hover for a min or 2 to ensure there are no birds around who are getting spooked by my flight, if there is, which has never happened, I would immediately land and try somewhere else, if all is well I do my filming and pack up and go within an hour. Never getting anywhere near the ground except to TOAL.

I and everyone else find the rules around drone flying a little confusing but in summary on the government website there are very few places in which a small drone (under 250g) can’t be flown, apart from airports, prisons, large crowds etc. however I would like to ensure all is well with Natural England.

Kind regards

Phil Sheath

They will basically palm you off with bollocks about they own the skies above their lands. :roll_eyes:

Just take off from public land and enjoy yourself.

3 Likes

Phil you would have done more then I would and contacted these people with a 249g drone tbh.

I myself would find public place TOAL and fly safely and enjoy, if it’s a quiet day and your at a decent height it probably never be seen.

Enjoy,

I hate to say this but you can learn alot from dji auditors as they push the boundaries and when listening you understand what grounds you have to fly.

1 Like

Ask yourself what damage a drone can do and what damage a police/air ambulance can do to an SSSI

never mind the humans on foot :grinning:

1 Like

Generally I agree but after my drone footage was published on the BBC etc I was phoned by a few newspapers who ran the story but before they would they wanted to know my TOAL site and varification on drone size, so I got a bit nervous, especially as I fly there lots. Anyway as I said in my email the Police practise their drone flying down there, though I’ve only ever seen them fly them off of cliffs.

1 Like

None of their business or where you TOAL from.

2 Likes

Another question to ask yourself is what harm to wildlife, all these camera drones cause when filming a documentary

3 Likes

They’ve paid a fee to these organisations to fly there, so that makes it completely safe for the wildlife.

It’s a bit like how paying a local authority a congestion charge suddenly makes a car non-polluting :roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I reiterate nobody’s business what and where you take off unless your actually in a unauthorized location.

You do all your checks before flying, TOAL from a safe public location, don’t be arse and fly near wildlife do filming and pictures at a sensible height, all is commonsense.

I myself fly in safe quiet spot fly off quickly and land quickly don’t annoy anybody try to do everything stealth so nobody realises you flying in and around the sky. It’s respect as I would not like to be in my garden and a drone just hovering as it could be all innocent but to me I think there spying on me or what I have they can steal. So this is why I try to fly far away from humans.

Or don’t have the landowners permission :roll_eyes:

You wouldn’t like folks taking off in your back garden for example

1 Like

I personally would take that as good to go as you have asked all the questions but they say that don’t respond so that to me would be green light , there won’t be any birds nesting so crack on

I would like to see the evidence that drones disturb nesting birds :thinking: