Nearly hit some power lines - Jumbles Reservoir, Bolton

On Sunday 18th. February 2024 I visited the Jumbles Country Park which is just to the North of Bolton, Lancashire UK. I inadvertently had a near mishap due to my neglect in surveying the area beforehand and the light glare on my screen obliterating my view of the power lines.
This happened:

This gave me a scare at the time and also taught me a lesson.

9 Likes

Feels like we need a sister thread to the The never ending “I crashed my drone thread” thread…

The never ending “Where the f*** did that come from?!” thread, perhaps? :rofl:

3 Likes

It pays to check Drone Scene before a flight as that power line is highlighted as a hazard.

A very close shave…

1 Like

I did, It’s not !

What this one?

4 Likes

This is what showed on my drone scene. No power line! I must be doing something wrong.

It did not show up on the map on my console either. As I originally stated, I hold my hand up. I am doing something wrong. Whatever it is it is my fault, I would like to know how I can improve and pass my experience on to others.

I thank you for your interest HantsFlyer and thanks for replying to my post, and thanks for your guidance.

Kind Regards, Davent.

1 Like

Davent,

On the airspace space overlays, check you have ground hazards ticked. Here’s my preferences below . :+1:

1 Like

As @HantsFlyer says, you need the Ground Hazards layer on to see … Ground Hazards. :wink:

Without …

With …

1 Like

I am unable to select these. It is telling me to upgrade to do so, for which it appears I have to pay a fee of £16 per year. I have definitely seen other maps with the flight restrictions where I don’t have to pay a fee? I should have been looking there perhaps. Thanks again for advising. Davent.

Drone Scene provides far more information than you’ll find on any free maps.

Also, the ÂŁ16 provides access to more than just the layers on Drone Scene.

3 Likes

I reckon you were lucky to miss the tree branches at the beginning :grimacing:

And if RTH had kicked in at any time it would have ended up in them

That 5 Million insurance might be worth a look at :wink:

1 Like

Had a look on altitude angel - they’e all showing up on there. Straight across Jumbles reservoir. you were absolutely dead lucky with that one… Altitude Angel is free on the App Store.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve checked and I have that on my mobile phone. I will use that one in future!!
Thanks for advice. Appreciated. Davent.

1 Like

I guess one takeaway from this is that checking the app (whichever one you use) is only the first step. Even with all the layers unlocked, things might’ve changed since the data was gathered so you always need to have a proper look around for any hazards/risks before you take off… and then keep having that look whilst you’re flying.

Even then, accidents happen… and £16/year for £5,000,000 public liability insurance is pretty good value for money. :wink:

1 Like

… Membership, and £25 …

:wink:

1 Like

Still a damned good deal :+1: :wink:

4 Likes

Hey @OzoneVibe - can you remind me if the ÂŁ5m cover is also for commercial drone pilots / flights?
Last time I looked it appeared not to be :pray:

Good for you for flagging it up, accepting the error and sharing with others. We all make the odd mistake along the way and they hopefully lead us to learn more / do the relevant checks next time.
BTW I’m v surprised you didn’t lose connection with the drone given how close you were to the cables :grimacing:
Safe & happy flying @Davent !

This link lists all the details of the GADC insurance.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing so that the rest of us are more aware of such hazards!