Neighbour complaint

Our neighbours had an issue when I first got the mini 2. They called the police straight off. Said officer came around, I explained I was flying within the law, wasn’t infringing on privacy, recording or not. I explained that I would be at least 60m if height if flying over their garden. Explained about the mini 2 and so on. He basically told me to crack on.

As for not recording any footage of the church, your neighbours a control freak. If you feel you have to, go across to the church, ask the groundsman of church, or Rector or whatever if they would mind, fly and do your stuff :+1:.

Your neighbour has no right. If he doesn’t like it, and your within the law, stuff him👍

3 Likes

I know confrontation is not the best path to take as it’s nice to be able to keep things cival on a daily basis but not possible all the time.

Do what I did a few months ago as it seems you get more respect tbh, was having a discussion but when it gets heated I go into defensive zone and only way I can solve it is by fists :scream: so when he saw me bust a blood vessel and go towards him he ran like the clappers and everyday I see him he has the biggest wave for me and I Pay him the respect back.

Behind the scenes wifey knocking 10 bells of shit out of me for my actions :scream::sob::pleading_face: she says your not at school or army anymore where everything is dealt with fists this is civie street and they can take everything off you.

He sounds a ignorant twat, if you cannot deck him then try sending a letter a explain the law by pointing all you can do with the size of drone and don’t say what you cannot do let him find that out for himself and say I’m licenced the drone is licenced with CAA, you can inform the police or local council as I’m well in my rights and if it comes to this then I have no alternative to involve my solicitor who loves making money for me and himself now fuckoff

Regards Adrian Arnold :grin:

5 Likes

Even more invaluable advice and support. Thanks. Mu confidence is building again

And even then they’re usually too far away for the @Challenges_Committee to see properly… :wink:

If your not sure of the By-laws in your area, or anywhere in the uk for that matter, check out Simon Hawkins FOI requests to the majority (if not all) local authorities and their responses. :+1:Good to know if your local park etc is covered by a by-law. For instance, where I live the council have a drone ban policy; but they can stick that where the sun don’t shine as they have admitted that they have no legal tools with which they can enforce it!

1 Like

All Available through DroneScene

1 Like

Here’s a bit of kosher information you might find interesting - this applies specifically to the U.K.

In an article written by a Barrister: Richard Ryan, he states that their research into 350 Local Authorities showed that the majority did not have any kind of policy in place concerning the use or flying of drones within or over land administered by them and that those few which did have specific policies dealing with the use of UAV’s within their boundaries were not consistent with CAA regulations. To quote Mr. Ryan:

“… we did not find a single (Local Authority) policy that was accurate: up to date: or enforceable.”

Regardless of the attitudes of Town, Parish, Borough or County councillors - they cannot legally create a by-law that contradicts, or conflicts with CAA Regulations which were written to definitively and legally govern the use of drones: determining specifically what is a legal action: and what is an illegal action. A pilot who abides by CAA regulation cannot be found to be in breach of a local by-law that contradicts rulings already set into the existing legislative Canon in ANO 2016 and CAP722. In extreme cases where a Local Authority might insist that its specific by-law supersedes the governance of those regulations enforced under ANO 2016 and CAP722: a case may be brought that a Judicial Review is required in order to ascertain whether the by-law is ultra vires (beyond the remit, power, or scope of authority enjoyed by that organ of Local Government). If ruled to be ultra vires: this means that if a Local Council makes a decision that is beyond their power to make, that action will automatically render that decision invalid and unenforceable.

5 Likes

I recall pretty much the same info in a YouTube video from this guy. Good info.

BlackbeltBarrister done a few vids on this subject and is a dtone OP himself.

Wow, I never realised the Victorians had flying machines ? Now wondering if DJI are going to release a “steampunk” version of a drone ? :joy::joy::joy::joy:

And make sure that your drone has a label on it showing your operators ID in characters at least 13 mm high.

1 Like

Hot air balloons.

You’ve had lots of very good advice but I would just add some churches have lead roofing which is attractive to criminals so a drone seen nearby may worry some of the parishioners. Perhaps drop a line to the church warden?

Just one other thing: for me drone flights consist of 2 parts. The take off and landing and the flight. Or the land and the airspace you use. Forgive me if I have overseen this somewhere but I am unclear as to whether the discussion here on by-laws etc is separating this. My understanding is if a council forbids the use of drones on their land, they mean using it for TOAL.

1 Like

Yes, but click on the second video link in a previous post ( the BlackBeltBarrister one)

There’s also PSPO’s which seems to be councils latest tact when they realise byelaws aren’t cutting the mustard. Although they should still have to evidence there’s been enough ‘disorder’ to justify the PSPO in the first place.

As for the neighbour. Is he a general busy body in everyone business? if he’s a grade A twonk just ignore him, use some common sense and stay within the laws.

If there’s other neighbours you’d rather also not pee off, then have others have suggested, practise elsewhere in a large open space where you can legally fly and there’s no TOAL restrictions to the best of your knowledge.

Do they? Certainly Essex County Council, Southend Borogh Council and my local district council don’t. I’ve checked, and in 2021 of the 200 plus councils that were asked through FOI requests whether they had any in place I think I’m right in saying only 9 did.

Damn, I’m amazed that happened…friend of a friend got burgaled and the police didn’t turn up (just sent him a case number for insurance).

1 Like

Yeh, we was surprised. He probably turned up half hour after I finished my last flight and I’d been out there on off for around 2,so they weren’t out pronto, but it was quick tbh.

Also if I remember rightly he was a fakey, part timer, so he was probably just hanging about in the area anyhow, and decided he’d call round. He was an OK guy. It was the neighbour at fault trying some tit for tat bullshit after we had reported them over music, kick offs and all other type of stuff. Idiots, they got their eye wiped when the police did naff all🤣.

They are in parliament now

Edit: Sorry you didn’t say hot air buffoons!

I hadn’t heard of this resource before. Its excellent.

Nicely shattered some of the claims the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path lot claim actually on site on first glance.

It’s available on Dronescene :smiley:

3 Likes