Never leave LiPo batteries when charging - a lesson šŸ”„

As I have the walking ability of a Goldfish I have to drive to my flying spots. So I have a second battery in the boot of my car so I can charge my batteries out in the field. I very, very rarely charge them at home. Also when charging the setup is a suitable distance from the car so that if the worse should happen I donā€™t need to call the fire brigade and a taxi.

2 Likes

Were have you put your hand grenades then? :grinning:

Yup. All of the above is true. I donā€™t charge them when not at home, Iā€™ve generally been careful there. @DeanoG60ā€™s description is entirely accurate in this case.

Iā€™ve ordered a fire proof charging bag and a new CO2 extinguisher. Very glad I had one but the dry powder leaves a mega mess to clean up.

As is, thereā€™s a lot to clean up and walls to repaint due to smoke damage - but it could have been much, much worse.

SECOND MISTAKE!..

Tested after the fact - dead battery :man_facepalming:

If you not got ā€˜em - get ā€˜em.
If you got ā€˜em. Check ā€˜em.
Today.

(Visited my parents last night, checked theirs too - batteries dead in both!)

2 Likes

Just Tested both of ours and they are working fine, thanks for the reminder :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Most of the posts regarding technical info have gone over my head.
Iā€™m guessing that once you start exploring your hobby deeper and buying aftermarket gadgets to assist your LIPO charging and battery condition monitoring needs there is a danger you start to lose some safety features that are supplied with off the shelf set ups and increase a risk of the terrible thing that happened to @DaveJaVu ?
In other words as a layman sticking to a Mini 2 with the 3 battery charging hub, I shouldnā€™t be unduly worried? :scream:

Iā€™d already used them all :+1:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t worry mate, all this info is aimed at FPV quads that use hobby lipos your mini 2 has all the safety measures built in so that you havenā€™t got to worry about it. :+1:t2: just use common sense and standard battery charging practice.

3 Likes

@DeanoG60.
Thank you.
I almost assumed the risk was more like ā€˜show jumpingā€™ than riding a donkey along the beach led by reigns but just because the Mini 2 has LIPOā€™s I couldnā€™t not ask.
Itā€™s so easy to not understand the real risk and dangers, I 'd rather feel stupid for asking. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Nothing stupid about anything safety related mate. :+1:t2: always better to be safe than sorry. It can be a confusing hobby :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Aftermathā€¦

One very ex-LiPo.

Bloody hell that was a close one! :grimacing:
Glad to hear you and your family are ok Dave.
Thanks for posting as there are definitely some lessons to be learnt there especially for any newbies to fpv like myself :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Just seen a forum post warning about NOT using an ammo box for LiPosā€¦and no wonder the guy said itā€¦HE USED A PASTIC AMO BOX!!.. :roll_eyes:
Takes all sorts eh?

The xt60 and balance connectors look salvagable.

New kit arrived.

Essential items if youā€™re messing around with high power LiPo batteriesā€¦

2 Likes

A lucky escape indeed and a lesson that many can (should) learn from! Thanks for sharing.

Now, if I could add my tuppence worth as a former Fire Service Officer and current Fire Safety Consultantā€¦

1. A genuineĀ¹ ex-MOD ammo box is a great way to keep you safe when charging and storing your batteries. Make sure the catch fully locks down. If drilling a hole to pass a charging cable through, fill the area around the hole with an intumescent putty. Do not fill ā€˜ventā€™ holes in the box!! Ā¹The market is flooded with fakes and copies so be aware.

2. The minimum standard for domestic detection should be:

• a smoke detector in every circulation space ie hallway, landing, etc.
  • a smoke detector in the most frequently used room ie living room.
  • a heat detector in the kitchen.
    ALL the above should be mains fed with battery back-up. Wireless interlinked is also an option should it prove easier to install in your specific situation.

The above will be the minimum standard in Scotland by February 2022 and Iā€™d like to think that the rest of the UK will follow suitā€¦

ALWAYS weekly test your system! Fires donā€™t just happen to other people!

4 Likes

Not criticising, but the video above clearly shows these bags are pretty useless.
yet 3 people have posted they have ordered/received some of trhese bags since that video post #12

Just wondering why :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™ve just spotted a typo in my earlier post. It should read:
ā€œDo not drill ā€˜ventā€™ holes in the box!!ā€ A small but very important mistake hence my reason for commenting and correcting. BTW, I couldnā€™t see a way to edit my earlier post ā€¦ any advice?

@bombero thereā€™s only a 15min time window for editing posts.

Thanks for the update re drilling holes vs not drilling holes :hole:

1 Like

One piece of advice I have seen is regarding the seal.
Remove most of it and just leave a piece across the locking end of the box as it helps to keep the lock tight when closedā€¦there should then be enough of a space around the rest of the lid where the majority of the seal was removed to allow gases to escape in the event of it going wrong.

PS. Instead of grommets use fireclay putty to plug the cable entry holes. It goes quite hardā€¦Screwfix have it.

2 Likes

Thinking slightly out of the boxā€¦!! this could be put in your LIPO bag or box and even left in the carry bag / case for the droneā€¦ from our favourite seller, price is quite good compared to others around. I wouldnā€™t want to be in bed with a smouldering battery downstairs in a metal box or whateverā€¦ Cheers