New drone owner, with one arm..!

Hello, and yes you read the title correctly…!!

Live in West Yorkshire, have considered owning a drone for a while…and have finally taken the plunge this week. Bought myself a DJI Mini 2, but as yet not had much chance to try it due to the windy weather.

Enjoy photography, and thought that this could add another dimension to my hobby whilst out hiking in the Yorkshire Dales.

As said in the title, I only have one arm…!! Lost my full right arm many years ago(haven’t worn the false one for over 20 years, too heavy and cumbersome), so the challenge of flying a drone may mean me thinking ‘slightly differently’ to others…not disabled - just got an arm missing…!!

18 Likes

Welcome mate. This is a friendly forum.
The new dji fpv package has a one handed controller. With a good camera.
@speatuk has one. It might suit you down to the ground.

5 Likes

it is extra not included in fpv combo package

4 Likes

Hi and welcome.
The Mini 2 will soon be supported (when DJI release the sdk) by an app call Litchi.
The beauty of this app is you can plan your flight on a laptop, ipad, phone etc and when you get to the place you are wanting to fly, you basically just press take off.

Well done on the choice of the Mini 2 it is a very capable drone.

The Drone @notveryprettyboy was talking about with the one handed operation is the DJI FPV Drone with motion controller.

Welcome to the group and enjoy your new drone.

As he said :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Hi @Legin63 and welcome to GADC.

1 Like

Welcome aboard

Your one arm will be a bit of a hindrance but you’ll manage fine :muscle:

It’s the guys like me with one brain cell who really have the challenge :grinning:

9 Likes

Respect to you!!.. I struggle flying with 2 hands!

You can buy clip on bits for the controller off amazon that a lanyard attaches to, it may make it easier for you than trying to hold the controller.
There are probably people on here that 3d print them too

3 Likes

@Legin63

If you want one of these pm me and I’ll send you one.
FOC

:+1:

4 Likes

Welcome to the club, your story has led me to this interesting device, possibly not compatible with the mini but maybe worth pursuing.

1 Like

I think DJI stole that from him

3 Likes

Or maybe try flying sitting down with the controller in your lap. Going to assume that you must have learned to be pretty dextrous with your left hand so you should be able to fly a Mini 2 pretty much fine with your pinkie on the left stick and forefinger on the right.

3 Likes

If you get on with it I would try FPV, now that would put us all to shame

1 Like

It wouldn’t take much @Legin63, these guys who have got the dji fpv wont even try manual
tenor (17)

5 Likes

I’m getting some practice in first. Don’t want to be like the guy with the Wrangler. 2 mins in the air and it’s all over lol.

2 Likes

Hello, just too add that you can also, in the Fly app change the sticks mode so the controller might be more suited to the way you want to use it.

The Mini 2 is a great bit of kit!

2 Likes

Hi there, I have only one hand and I too have the mini 2. When I was contemplating buying it I considered making (or getting) some kind of chest mount to free my one hand up from holding the controller to be able to fly better, however, I found that I could manage to fly it without doing so. I use my drone just for photography and video so have no need to make complicated manoeuvres using both sticks. I also have limitations such as being unable to alter the pitch of the gimbal whilst flying etc but I just work within my limitations and I’m really happy with what I can achieve. The intelligent flight modes are really helpful. You will know as well as me that there’s always a way. Good luck and go for it.

7 Likes

Well done you! :+1:

1 Like

As mentioned above I fly with only having one hand. I forgot to mention that the one thing I would recommend buying is a thick rubber take off and landing mat. Many of the places I go have rough ground long grass or sand and being one handed I can’t use the option of taking off or landing in the hand so some kind of pad is invaluable. I bought mine off amazon and I made sure it was a thick rubber one so it lies flat on most areas including long grass. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank You for the welcomes, replies and ideas.

In just handling the controller(and it’s very early days) I’m going on the idea of resting it on my thigh to operate it…as mentioned by @Loopdreams.

But as @Doug1996 will understand, there’s always a way…!!

Some ideas may come from others, maybe a step back and have a little think about what’s needed…but often it’s just a matter of getting on with it and using the original set up.

If I’d have realised that it had the ‘start mode’, then I’d have had one a while ago…I think that will help a lot.

As it will mainly be used for photo’s/videos, then I think that things can be taken rather steadily…at the moment…!!

Thank you again for your replies and thoughts…I’m just now waiting for the weather outside to calm down.

2 Likes

Hi @Legin63 and welcome to GADC.

Where abouts in the West Riding are you ? There are lots of us in the Yorks area, we often meet in more normal times if that’s your thing, loads of helpful advice and tip swaps, you also get to play with the other kids toys :wink:

4 Likes