New Drone Pilot from Nottinghamshire

Hi
First time drone owner from Nottinghamshire.
Was able to get a great deal on the DJI Mini 2 fly more combo, via my employers employee perks app.
I’ve been a keen hobby photographer for nearly 4 yrs, main genres of photography interest being Landscape, Travel & Macro.
During a recent photography workshop tour of the Greek island of Santorini, I noted that a few photographer’s were using drones to capture images from positions that were impossible to get using a DSLR camera, this sewed the seed within my mind.

So after a few months researching, reading reviews and saving up for my first drone purchase, I’ve finally taken my first few steps of drone ownership.

Found this forum by following a link from another website, whilst doing further post purchase research into the legal requirements of drone ownership.

My mind is already full of places to revisit with my drone, places I’ve photographed with a DSLR, where I’d thought to myself in the past “if only I’d been able to get an higher view perspective for that picture” or “wouldn’t it be great to have been able to capture a short video of that fantastic sunrise or sunset” whilst a picture paints a thousand words, a short video will help tell the story of picture to the photograph viewer

2 Likes

Hi @TheBinman and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Good morning & welcome , :+1:t2:

Welcome… its a great place to be :slight_smile:

@TheBinman Hi Jason welcome to the club :+1::+1:

Hi Jason and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

Welcome Jason to GADC :clap: :clap:

Hi ! I read your post with interest .I go to Santorini on the 1st Sept and tried every way poss to get permission to fly my drone…As we are not in the EU our license ect are not valid …Because we do not live in the EU we cannot take there exam,so i have given up on the use of flying a drone in any of the EU . My drone is a DJI 2s,I was using a DJI 3 pro and thought the 2s would be better to take away…If only ???.

I took mine about 18 months ago, used the Luxemburg EASA form. I think quite a few people on here took it at about the same time.

Welcome to the site

I’m unsure if those people flying their drones, actually cared or not, about being legal.
The poplar sunset locations were crammed with spectators (until the sun actually set), there were multi-lingual signs asking for drones not to flown, but that didn’t seemed to phase them.
Going back to my “until the sun actually set” statement, it’s the only place I’ve been in the world, where people actually applaud the sun setting :crazy_face:. Then 95% of the spectators leave, leaving a few photographers to make the best of the golden / blue hour. :+1:t2:

Hi Jason - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi
I also recently bought a dji as well but I haven’t flown it much yet with being busy and I’m into photography mainly monochrome landscapes, street photography plus I live in Notts .
So give us a shout if you fancy a stint with the camera and drone plus I’m learning fpv.
Cheers.

@TheBinman welcome