New EASA drone rules - 1 July 2020 - Discussion

Hi Andy and welcome to the GA forum I see you are fairly new here (just like me!)

You/We have found a super hobby at a time when for reasons I won’t go into there are some big changes taking place as to how the airspace above us is used and controlled for the safety of all! As a result laws have been/are still being written up under the control of the CAA (Civil Aviation Authorities) The 1st part of this has already impacted the Hobby drone flyers myself included in that we have to be tested and registered to ‘Operate’ (be the rightful owner/keeper) and separately as the flyer Good news you’ve done this!

The next stage comes into play 1st July this Yr 2020 which starts a process of change/overlap between present drones on the market and New manufacturing Legal requirements for build standards to assist in how the drones will be able to fly more safely in an ever increasingly busy low level airspace I.e no more that 400ft above ground level (ground to drone straight up vertical measure)

In mid 2022 approx July Even more stringent rules will apply and any aircraft (drone) built and on sale now and up till then unless they carry a ‘category manufacturer marking’ (non available or even built as yet) will need to be flown beyond 150m away from what we would at the moment call a ‘Congested area’I’d hazard a guess by then we hobby flyers will be happy to comply with that as it will save us having to dodge Amazon to name but one of potential dozens of others making drone deliveries

PfCO is Basically a commercial flying Authorisation/Certification Scheme &things are changing for them too!

1 Like

I’d be more than happy to chat this all through with you just send me a DM

2 Likes

I guess it depends on your prospective/and what you are trying to do

1 Like

Yes, it does

Hi Alex I’ve noted you have offed to discuss this by DM (Direct Message) on a number of occasions this is a very kind thing to do :pray:

1 Like

I’m puzzled by the fact that we have to abide by the law of ALWAYS having the line of sight of our drones yet IF amazon etc plan on deliveries by drone how the f#%~ is that going to work!!?

Open a new topic on the subject you might get a badge :rofl:

Same way as Elon Musks car the Tesla can auto pilot your car to you in a car park situation I would guess google/YouTube on the subject Heaven help us Or not as the case may be :pray: :joy:

Certified category. But it will never fully work.

Not in this weather anyway Oh my goodness I mentioned the weather I promised myself I wouldn’t do that :relaxed:

1 Like

Well as I’ve said to many its better to know the rules than not, also through DM I can answer a whole load of questions in one go without making this megathread as Rich calls it even longer! Haha :grinning:

I know :laughing:

1 Like

I wonder where this ranks on thread lengths

:woman_shrugging:

For people who own a Mavic Mini:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBooy2BeXiwp

1 Like

Dont worry my fence panels have seen more flying then my drone ,these last few days,grrrr :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :grimacing: :grimacing:

4 Likes

I know that feeling lost one once and never knew where it went Have a cure for that now though

1 Like

Courtesy Mr MPW

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that I have already posted these but as Matt says some reinforcement doesn’t do any harm. Also, I think that your screengrabs are a bit easier to read than my mine

1 Like

Hey Ho - repetition It’s the way we learn from birth sorry if I missed it earlier