New EASA drone rules - 1 July 2020 - Discussion

:expressionless:

@alexmciver I think I am finaly getting it mate and the best thing for me is I am able to help others now/////////////////I hope ! as well !!!

I enjoy being able to help people always have.

That’s great if you do have anything that you are still unsure of definitely ask either me or @tchambers

1 Like

Good morning all. OK in regards to the 150m of congested areas and 50m rule of structures, vehicles or vessels then download CAP722 and the associated amebdment (PAR).
Go to section 2.4 of CAP722 Exemptions and Permissions.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=415

3 Likes

A non flying member of the public will have difficulty in accusing anyone of breaking these regulations!!!
I fly a Mavic Air and having read CAP 1789, it seems as a legacy drone I can fly it into the future in the open category A3. Have I read correctly?

2 Likes

Yes you’ve read it correctly

1 Like

Many thanks

So technicly betweeen july 2020 and june 2022 any UAV 0-900g is classed as the same and if oened now will be the 50/30m take off rule until 2022 ? is that right ?

1 Like

Nope. It would be nice if things were that simple!

During the transition period, legacy drones can fly as follows according to their MTOM:

• <250g can fly in sub-category A1 including over uninvolved persons but not over crowds
  • <500g can fly in sub-category A1 but no intentional flight over uninvolved persons (subject to passing an as yet unknown test)
  • <2kg can fly in sub-category A2 no closer horizontally than 50m from any persons (subject to passing A2 CofC test)
  • <25kg can fly in sub-category A3 >150m away from industrial, commercial, residential and recreational areas

The first and fourth of those apply indefinitely even after the transition period.

PS: There is no 30m TOAL separation rule in the new regs: it’s 50m at ALL times for legacy drones during the transition, or 30m at ALL times after that for code-compliant drones once they become available.

3 Likes

Thank you @kvetner That is the most succinct coverage of the interim period (and beyond for Legacy drones) I’ve seen to date

I know why they had to do it but the 2020-2022 period and associated documents are very much adding to the confusion In an ideal world they would have implemented those rules 1st let it all settle down then move to the next stage with the new class drones already on the market However they have no doubt been driven to complete final phase implementation by the Commercial forces of this world Amazon & others not just them to ‘prepare’ the mass onslaught of the commercial drone operators that are soon to fill our sky’s In short we will be glad to fly recreationally beyond 150mts when that happens unless you ‘like’ the idea of ‘dodge the courier and don’t spill the plasma’

Thanks again great post :hugs:

1 Like

Remember that the new EASA rules are in addition to the Air Navigation Order (UK) so the 50m rules or 30m during Take-Off and Landing are specified in CAP393 the ANO Article 95

1 Like

Hi Tony do you have a link for that please? I do always try to look up your references but I’m always struggling to find the most current update etc

Thanks for your posts they have inspired me to try and rekindle my ability to understand such ‘ gobbledygook’ Ha 1st part of career path Electrical codes & regulations Then later in life widened out into Building industry codes & regulations ‘have to be a Philadelphia Layer’ comes to mine

I’m not sure if that will be the case. In their guidance document CAP1789, the CAA state:

The Air Navigation Order will also require amendment in order to reflect the new regulations.

1 Like

I must admit I thought that but wasn’t absolutely sure My understanding is that the UK regs/rules/laws are using the EU EASA rules as a framework but with tweaks to suit UK constraints & yes I had also read they would bring out an amended document when all is finalised

Title:Air Navigation Order 2018 and 2019 Amendments - Guidance for Small Unmanned Aircraft users

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9002

The EU UAS Regulation Package – Outline

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9135

Title:Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace - Guidance & Policy

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=415

I’ve sent a query to the CAA to see if there’s anything more that they can share yet.

3 Likes

Lets hope they respond in a way that they did not swallow a defuct dictionairy that makes as much sence as a 3 foot tall top shelf filler !
Perhaps you can post there reply as and when they do I would be interested.

1 Like

Thank you, It all is a bit confusing to say the least! A lot of the Q&A seems to get muddled in my head as it changes depending on where along you are in the ‘timeline of changes’

For example I recently read you can go up and over a structure greater than 120Mts 400ft ( not actually the same measure) providing you have the owners consent and within certain distances but now I want to establish whete that is and what position it is in the timeline I can’t easily put my finger on it I think I’m going to have to make a file up with paper copy’s with notations, hi lighted areas of interest And where in the time line they apply otherwise I just won’t grasp it!

Can I try and get this straight in my head because I simply don’t understand all this pfco rules.
I sat and passed a basic online test in November and passed with 19/20. I payed them my £9.00 and was given a flyer number and an I D for my drone ( mavic pro)
I am just a normal old guy that has found something that interests me and occupies my day’s weather permitting as a HOBBY. Am I going to have to sit exams and practical tests as well from July?
I am so confused :neutral_face:

1 Like

@theflyingwelshman58 the transistion period is between 2020 and 2022 so you will be able to fly much the same as you do now until 2022 but then its all change and no one including the rule makers ie the EU yes even though we have left know what these rules are !
It seems a wrogh guidline basis that all our drones no matter what eight size etc are goiung to be based in the A3 cat after 2022…laymans terms US !
If you do a PFCO now you will be ok or else your drone is classed as “a legacy” drone and 2022 no cat number then 150m away from anything…it seems the ground is out of bounds at well lol.

Its terrible the way they are doing this.