New EASA drone rules - 1 July 2020 - Discussion

It says that you have to pass a theoretical exam if you want to fly over uninvolved people, does my PfCO allow this

Thatā€™s for drones under 900g.

With your PfCO or at least the training youā€™ve received you will be able to fly in the specific category with an ops manual and risk assessment.

Ive not read much into the specific category but Iā€™d imagine it would give you more freedom similar to the current PfCO.

drones

2 Likes

So it would be a good idea to keep my PfCO going then (renew it)?

1 Like

Iā€™m really not sure mate.

In the future you might not need the PfCO and only the training, ops manual and risk assessments which you already have.

Iā€™d contact the CAA and see if they can advise you.

1 Like

Saying what?

When is your renewal due?

Iā€™d just ask them what your best course of action is.

If your renewal is say a month before the new regs come in Iā€™d want to know if they are planning on allowing renewals or if they have a plan in place for moving operators over to the new system.

1 Like

8/9/2020 but I was thinking about renewing on the 10th of July 2020

1 Like

Message from the CAA in terms of renewing my PfCO:

Hi Alex

The answer to that is that it depends on how you wish to operate. If you wish to continue to operate within the parameters of your current PfCO, then continue to renew this as it will become your Operational Authorisation (i.e no additional test needing to be sat). If you wish to operate under the terms of the open category (for example A2, 5m from persons in ā€˜slow speedā€™ mode), then you will need to satisfy the requirements of these categories including obtaining a CofC if required.

Specifically in your case. If you wish to operate your Mavic under PfCO operational parameters, then continue to renew your PfCO / Operational authorisation and no additional test will be required. If you wish to operate the Mavic under A2 conditions (i.e without an operational authorisation), you will be required to obtain an A2 CofC and under the A2 transition period will be able to operate the aircraft at a 50m Horizontal distance from uninvolved persons. Please note the transition period is only valid until 30/6/2022. Annex C of CAP1789 gives a full run through of the requirements.

CAP1789 EU UAS Regulations-Guidance.pdf (440.5 KB)

1 Like

@callum what change did you make?

I highlighted your post.

Itā€™s good information from CAA and will make it easier for others to see.

2 Likes

Ahh ok, I didnā€™t even know that that was possible.

I am actually pleasantly surprised by how responsive the CAA is to emails

2 Likes

@alexmciver

Have added download link for CAP1789 to your post.

Ok, thank you, I wonder when/if we will have to add CAP 1789 to our OPS manuals?

My understanding from CAP1789 is that there are two key improvements for ā€œordinaryā€ drone pilots:

1. Removal of any restriction on flying close to structures, only keeping restrictions regarding congested areas and people.

2. Easier way to get permission to fly in congested areas, by passing the A2 CofC qualification (which is much simpler than a PfCO or Operational Authorisation), you can then fly in or near towns so long as you are not flying over or near people.

Am I reading both of those correctly?

1 Like

I think the A2 CofC qualifification is only to fly closer to people than the standard 50m.

Only really applies to new drones that are marked C2.

Legacy drones are covered to 50m until 2022 after which they can only be flown in A3.

So pointless doing the qualification unless your purchasing a drone which has the classification stamped on it.

The only UAS that can be operated in subcategory A2 are:
ā€¢ Those marked as class C2
ā€¢ until 30 June 2022 only ā€“ UAS covered by the transitional provisions
of Article 22 (mass less than 2kg able to be used as if it was a class
C2, but only down to 50m from uninvolved people

Is the CAA telling me that I can only fly my Mavic 2 zoom 30/6/22?

I think thatā€™s what they are saying. After the transition period its restricted to A3 and same for phantom, inspire etc.

Only drones which have C2 on the label will be able to fly in A2 after 2022.

2 1/2 years is quite a long time where drones are concerned. You will probably have a sub 900g A1 Mavic 3 or 4 by then.

2 Likes

True. I have now asked the CAA if I will have to stop flying my Mavic (if I get one for Christmas) after the 30/6/22

You wont need to stop flying it mate.

You will just need to fly it in A3.

1 Like

Their response:

Hi Alex

Thatā€™s a very subjective question and ultimately, I believe it will depend on the type of operation you wish to undertake. If you wish to avoid any further examination and want to retain the use of your Mavic, then yes continuing to renew your PFCO and then transition to the OA would probably be considered ā€˜betterā€™. However it is important to see that the EU regulations do give some operational parameters which allow you to fly close to uninvolved persons etc.

Regarding your other question of the Mavic after the transition period, aircraft that do not comply with the requirements of classes C0 to C4 are able to continue to operate indefinitely within subcategory A3.

2 Likes