New EASA drone rules - 1 July 2020 - Discussion

The EASA regulations seem fairly clear that only drones sold as-new with the correct labelling, manual etc will be treated as compliant with the new C0-4 classes. Only new products can be CE marked.

However, looking at class C2, my existing M2Z seems to comply in pretty much every respect, and sticking a new label on it wouldn’t be difficult. It would be odd if DJI continued selling CE-marked C2 class drones of this type but old non-marked identical drones weren’t marked similary. Any thoughts on whether there may be scope created for fully compliant legacy equipment to be treated as compliant (and hence, importantly, able to fly in A2 as well as A3)?

I really can’t say but I can ask the CAA if you like? Do you have a PfCO?

Take a look at this comment from the CAA though

I’ll drop them an enquiry. Non-PfCO, so trying to work out whether the rules for a legacy device will be a positive or negative change in terms of what can be done - seems the improvements to where we can fly in the regs may only apply if we go out and buy new kit!

1 Like

Why?

Why what? :slight_smile:

The new rules permit recreational flying inside the 150m congested area limit (subcategory A2) without the equivalent of a PfCO. That’s a nice opportunity, which I’d like to have: it would hugely increase potential flying space. But this is only available with CE-marked class C2 equipment.

I’m interested to know whether I can take advantage of this without having to buy new kit, especially if the only difference to my existing kit is that the body shell has had the C2 classification and associated noise details stamped into it.

So, I’ve just spoken with the CAA again.

In my case, I am looking to get a Mavic 2 zoom. The CAA says that after 2022 I will only be allowed to fly in the A3 category unless it flying as part of an operational authorisation within the specific category

Well what drone do you have?

I got sent a link to this form for PfCO holders or those doing the course. It makes sense of various scenarios of activity, aircraft etc.

I have an M2Z. And my reading of the regulations is the same as what the CAA have said to you, unfortunately. It may lead to the daft situation where people with functionally identical drones have very different restrictions on where they can fly subject to when they are sold and how they have been labelled.

I suspect DJI are rubbing their hands in anticipation!

1 Like

If I’ve got this right, all us guys and gals who build our own, carefully and with proven kit (CUBE, Ardupilot etc.), are going to be stuck in A3 which is really prohibitive.
Somebody please, please, tell me I am wrong :neutral_face:

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

Apologies if this has been covered but I’m somewhat ignorant as what technical specifications/requirements constitute a “C2” compliant drone? Will this classification be only afforded to commercially manufactured drones or could a custom build be awarded this classification subject to an inspection, in much the same way that self built full scale aircraft can be awarded air worthy certifications?

Regards

Nidge.

1 Like

See the Delegated Regulations, which are for design and manufacture of drones marketed in the EU. Page 26 covers the C2 requirements in detail. Private-built drones can only get a C-class if they are sold as a full kit of parts ready for self-assembly.

2 Likes

Think that you’ve summed it up very well

A3 is very similar to today i.e. below 400 ft, 150m outside congested areas. The actual regulation for A3 regarding proximity to people states your flight must be:

conducted in an area where the remote pilot reasonably expects that no uninvolved person will be endangered within the range where the unmanned aircraft is flown during the entire time of the UAS operation

i.e. you must not endanger people, it doesn’t necessarily mean they can’t be in the area.

PS: It is still an improvement over today, as the ANO restriction on drones with cameras not flying within 50m of buildings, vehicles etc is not included in the EASA regulations. That’s valuable to me as I’ll be able to fly in A3 close to bridges, towers etc, so long as no people are nearby. Can’t (legally) do that today unless the structure is under your control or via PfCO.

3 Likes

Didn’t even think about this. Maybe the new EASA rules do have their advantages even though they do give you a lot to get your head around and understand

2 Likes

I am new to the drone community. I have been wanting a drone for a couple of years and this year had an opportunity to get a Mavic 2 Pro in a Black Friday deal. I knew that there were changes relating to distance from Airport and was fine with the idea of registering and doing the theory. My initial thought was to use this for recreational and then when I mastered it, start doing commercial work. I work in video production already so seemed a good fit. What I didn’t know anything about were the changes coming into effect in July 2020. This info wasn’t anywhere obvious, (Not on DJI site, CAA registration site etc). If it was there, it certainly wasn’t obvious. Now I am thinking this was a bad purchase and certainly the wrong time to buy a drone. If I waiting till mid 2020 there would likely be a DJI drone that is C2 classed, which means for the same money I could fly closer, not have to do a PFCO to do commercial work (Which I need to pay for renewal each year) as I could do a A2 CofC for half the price and renew every 5 years. When you add up the difference in price it is roughly (give or take) £1.5k more to buy a drone now for commercial work than waiting for a C2 Drone in about 6 months. Plus you can use it in Europe and get allot closer. I maybe missing something but I feel that I have wasted my money even though I bought it on Black Friday. The choice I have is to either sell it, probably at a loss, or look to do my PFCO quicker than planned to make the money back and hopefully cover the cost of an addition C2 drone to benefit from flying closer to subjects. The trouble is no drone training company will advise people to not buy a drone now as getting people on their courses is their bread and butter. I would like to know if it is just me seeing this dilemma for newbies? And whether anyone else is in the same situation?

Welcome to Grey Arrows Tom @TORSO :+1:t2:

No mate, it’s not just you seeing this dilemma.

Nor is that dilemma limited to just newbies. Even the old-hands at this game are as much in the dark at the moment.

There is such little clarity at the moment, it’s a very tough call to make.

Some interesting conversations in this thread at the moment: New EASA drone rules - 1 July 2020 - Discussion

1 Like

If you have a look at the recent Mr MPW videos its all explained there. Complicated issue but you would still be able to fly the Mavic under A3. Distances are pretty big though. Im lucky in that I have a PfCO so can use my present drones at least until 2022 under the existing permissions so that would apply to you as well if you do the PfCO. That is Matt Williams advice, get it done now and then at least youre covered for acouple of years.

Thanks for adding in my EASA thread, hopefully, people are finding it useful

1 Like