New member Basildon Essex

New Drone pilot looking for good places to fly around essex area

I’m super careful where I fly; away from people and buildings. I visit Colchester often so can only comment around there. I’ve flown west of Roman Theatre at Gosbecks, near but far enough away from the zoo. Around and about Abberton Reservoir. On farmland around Essex. I’ve also flown along the river Colne way south of Wivenhoe. I have a hybrid bike so it’s easy to get to isolated spots. Let us all know where you fly. It’s not that hard to find places to fly but I don’t fly in urban areas. I have a Mavic 3 but have just got the smaller Mini 3 pro which as you are aware is less restrictive but I know the UK drone laws are evolving and you have to keep up.

1 Like

Hi Dave - @smallstool and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

dronescene.co.uk

Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK

Find places to fly your Drone (UAV) in the UK and share your favourite flying locations with other hobbyists pilots.

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Benefits of Membership section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts. :blush:

Welcome once again!

Welcome Dave to GADC :clap: :clap:

Hi Dave and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

Hi,

Many thanks for the info, i to have the mini 3 pro

Regards

@DirectDrones welcome

Hello, Welcome to GADC :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Dave, welcome to the club. I live in Basildon, I normally use Gloucester Park, I find a little area where there are no people and just have a few practice flights, there is a small green square near the skate park I normally fly there but on the opposite side of the green, it doesn’t disturb the fishermen or the dog walkers. On my first flight there I managed to film a squirrel on the ground but my Mini Mavic 1 was a bit loud so couldn’t get too close. :grin: I now have a Mini Mavic 3 pro its much quieter. :+1:

Hi Andmul,

Thank you for the info on the park, i also have the mini 3 pro and great little drones they are, can’t wait till the nice weather comes

I live in langdon hills so i might try up here

Regards

The only reason I’ve not flown at Langdon Hills is because the amount of people and the possible wind change with the height, but on a good day it should be really good fun. Maybe an earlier flight in the day would avoid people and their dogs. I’m still new at this hobby but my confidence is growing. Have fun flying.

Just been using DJI Drone simulator and it’s a free download, had to buy a xbox gamepad today so i could use the simulator on my pc and it’s quite good ! saves going out in the cold lol and good practice

Will try my RC Controller again later and see if i can get that to work.

I downloaded it to my laptop but it wouldn’t run, I’m using Windows 11 but I think the HP laptop may not be quite up to the specs the flight sim requires, have fun. I also bought a PS4 to play Lift Off an FPV sim but I haven’t had a lot of time to practice yet.

Hi Dave welcome to the club, just down the road in Romford

Welcome Dave
:grinning: