New member from Staffordshire with zero drone knowledge

Good day to you all. I’m a retired chap, used to use photography in my work, and my skills were developed using film. (Anyone remember that?) Looking to rekindle an interest in Landscape photography just to please my own eye. I have really never done much with video apart from phone clips, and I don’t post on social media.
I rather like the idea of the sub 250g DJI Mavic Mini, but I’m shocked at how complicated legally using these things seems. Commercial/business use will not feature in anything that I do.
Thus, I will be seeking guidance and advice, if you would be kind enough to assist me.
I am quite happy to share whatever info. I can put back in.

1 Like

Welcome William!! you have come to the right place for a wealth of knowable people on here That will help you no end they will be along soon to welcome you :+1:

1 Like

Hi William and welcome to GADC.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll see what opening responses I receive, and any links I’m sent towards, and take it from there. I’ve seen the DroneCode, and that the Mini means no registration is necessary, similarly no training is needed.
It is far from clear to me what “Any drone under 250g can be flown without any training if risk to people and property is low” actually means in practice.
Can I sit on the coastline somewhere, and take coast bound images from over the sea, for example?
There will be many more basic questions, I’m sure.
thanks for the welcome…

Hello Will, and welcome.
We have a number of members in the Cannock and surrounding area and fly fairly regularly at Cannock Chase.
Whereabouts in Staffordshire are you? up north in the Potteries or south at Lichfield/Tamworth?
We’ll send you an invite to our next socially distanced fly-meet so you can chat and have a look at our machines. :smile:

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

@Matty1 @notveryprettyboy @Sunseeker @Zinoreaper

5 Likes

Potteries, but I’d welcome the run out, and thanks for the invite! :grinning:

Personally I’d do the full registration anyway (as I did) It only takes a few minutes and a few quid, it also means that if you do apply the ID numbers you receive after passing the test you have a bit of cover if anyone hassles you.
“Yes I’m a Civil aviation authority registered pilot and operater and I’m within my rights to be here this is my license number”

Also be aware that putting anything at all on the Mavic Mini which weighs more than one gram means you need to register it (That includes prop guards)

3 Likes

Just a note, even though is only a Mavic Mini and under 250g, it now needs to be registered as laws have changed. Not necessarily for the weight but because it has a camera. So at minimum you need the flyer ID and label on your drone. Other than that just follow drone code and remember there alot of drone haters out there so help us all out and fly according to code, 150m away from congested areas etc…

1 Like

That makes sense to me actually, as you can see I’ve a fair bit of careful reading to do yet. As I’ve never used a drone, I don’t know what hassle I’m likely to attract, but I imagine there will be some, dependent upon where I went. It can be the same with just a stills camera. Good thought, thanks.
I had seen the weight issue on a video of the Mini, I believe an ND filter is about all the option there is.

Ah, another update re registration - thanks to you, too. I have read the drone code, and it makes sense, clearly. It also raises questions for me as to where I could actually go and fly, which is one of the many things I’m trying to get a handle on…
Please, keeps all your suggestions coming, I am most grateful.

The EU unmanned aircraft systems Implementing Regulation which was due to come in has been delayed until the end of this year. Basically register it anyway because at some point you’ll have to. Lol It’s also useful to have an ID number on your drone for tracking if it gets lost for identifying its owner.

2 Likes

As for places to fly technically you can fly in any large public space if you can adhere to the distances within the code. Unless bylaws are in place. So far the rule I’m following is stay away from people. Also be aware the piece of kit you have is worth several hundred pounds and is certainly worth nicking so be careful of your surroundings. Have fun and be responsible and everyone can enjoy the outdoors :blush:

1 Like

do the full registration while you reading everything about drones eg drone code.Its 20 simple multiple choice questions about it in various scenarios. You cannot fail it and only pay when you pass.
Lights,filters,landing gear all add that bit of weight to push you over 250g.

2 Likes

Again, thank you. I’ll do some more website searching today. I’ve not seen where or how to register and take the test as yet.
I did come across the NATS/Dronesafe site yesterday, and saw their App “Drone Assist”, is that another thing to consider using?

Agree, it’s mostly common sense stuff just a few numbers to remember. Minimum/Maximum heights and distances and a few weird rescrictions about crowds of 1000 people ( how the hell to you know if it’s 900 or a thousand lol)

1 Like

Yes definitely use NATS Drone assist, It’s official and The map is clear and very good.

1 Like

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual

2 Likes

Top job, thanks for the link.

1 Like

Happy Flying. Stay safe

It’s the Operators ID you need to display :slightly_smiling_face: