New Member Second Thoughts!

Hi, I have just bought my first drone a Mini 4 pro, having not opened the box yet I’m having second thoughts to keep it or not. Do I have an enough time to fly it, what will I use it for, will it come back the first time I use it. Any one else felt the same and and how did you get over the fears?
Thanks

3 Likes

Hi @Cheshirehendy and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:


Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene and please feel free to add locations of your own too :smiley:


Wondering whether you can fly a particular model of drone under particular circumstances? Check out Good 2 Go where you’ll soon find the answer :blush:


Have you seen our Members Map? You may find some members living near you.

Feel free to add yourself to the members map too!


Flying a drone is great fun but sometimes you feel the need to have a purpose for doing so and the Challenges category provides some great reasons for you to fly.

There are regular challenges which are open to all, that attract members of all abilities. Support, advice and constructive criticism is freely available; still photography, video and the techniques for editing both are involved in the challenges. Suggestions, for subjects or for complete challenges, are always welcome - take a look in the Challenges category for more information.


We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the Questions & Answers category.

And finally, if you are new to drones and wondering what it’s all about, have a look at Resources for a beginner.

Welcome once again!

3 Likes

We all have those fears when we first start, and worries about losing the drone, but persevere, practice and confidence will build… I started flying drones almost 3 years ago no, with a MINI3 Pro, then added an AIR3 and AVATA 14 months later, and an AVATA2 a year after that…

Having the drones gives me a reason to get off my bum, go out into nature and get some exercise, it keeps me physically and mentally fit - not only improving my hand eye coordination but also my creative mind and learning new tech to edit the videos and create music.

I have a whole new lease of life, a new found enjoyment of the great outdoors and of exercise, and I have lost 4 1/2 stone and become much more physically fit - not entirely as result of droning, but definitely spurred on by it…

As for time, we go out once a week to fly and walk, and take opportunities for other flights when they present themselves, plus holidays are always good for flying - especially when we go to Scotland, which is perfect for Drone Flying…

Ultimately only you can decide, but I could not see a life without drones now, it has become something I enjoy and an integral part of my week…

6 Likes

By just getting out and flying, if Cheshire is your location get out tomorrow morning to the Beacon Meet and you’ll be forever smitten

3 Likes

I felt the same way when I first got my drone. It’s the uncertainty of the unknown, I suppose.
The Mini 4 Pro is an amazing piece of kit and surprisingly easy to fly.

People are generally respectful as long as you’re flying responsibly and not doing anything reckless. I’ve had a few conversations with passersby, and most were genuinely impressed by the drone.

Flying also gives you a whole new perspective. It’s incredible what you can discover in your local area. Once you’ve explored nearby, you can start branching out further.

If you’re considering returning consider the Neo. It’s more affordable, and you can gradually build up from there.

2 Likes

As chris has said pop down tomorrow and say hello. If you don’t want to open yours and fly, you can have a go of my mini 3 ( fresh back from DJI) have a chat.
We will be there from 9ish till ALL ( and thats alot) of the betteries run out. 1-2pm

2 Likes

GET IT OPEN!!!
And get it charged and set up. Personally i wouldn’t send it back in exchamge for a Neo. Once you’ve had the Neo for a while you’ll want somethimg more capable, and have to spend again. As for finding time? Once you’ve been out a couple ot times you’ll find yourself making the time. Get it out and enjoy it.

2 Likes

Welcome to GADC! :waving_hand:

2 Likes

Hi @Cheshirehendy and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:
As the others have said, get it unpacked and get out there, the Mini 4 Pro will look after you in your first steps of flying.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum

Enjoy

Playstation

2 Likes

Hi from Sunny Blackpool

2 Likes

Welcome from the Black Country

  1. That’s up to you, if it’s not raining/snowing, blowing a gale, YES
  2. Anything you want, buildings, landscapes, kids etc
  3. YES, as long as it’s had time (few seconds) to update it’s home point.
  4. YES, everybody has the same feelings about wanging the best part of a grand into the air for the first time.
  5. Just do it, you’ll love it

Enjoy

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I’m away this weekend but will be unboxing and charging it asap. I’ll let you know how it goes.

8 Likes

welcome

2 Likes

Hi there @Cheshirehendy and welcome to the GADC.

I can only reiterate what has already been said. Just take your first flights easy, nice open space, and just get to grips with the controls first off. @Foley (My hubby Russ), and I have always found return to home very reliable. The Mini 4 Pro is a great little machine, we have the Mini 3 pro and they are fab. I also agree with what @DazC said, if you get the Neo in exchange, you will eventually want to do more, and end up spending again, so, personally I’d stick with the Mini 4 Pro, and if you want a Neo for fun, get one.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

2 Likes