New oldie here - Derbyshire

At 70+ years old the Missus has banned me from going up ladders to inspect the roof on our rambling Georgian house. So far I’ve used a long camera pole with a GoPro to do the inspections prior to getting out the Gutter vacuum. I thought there must be an easier way! I’d also been toying with the idea of creating videos of work in my orchard. So, after some research, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a DJI Mini 4 Pro drone. I’ve not been disappointed, it is relatively easy to use and get great results. The slight tremor in my left hand means I keep it in the “C” or slow setting and obstacle avoidance on! Now fully registered at CAA, insured too.

The great photo/video results have encouraged me to get out and explore.

9 Likes

Hi @Orchardman and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Looking for Public Liability Insurance? Then look no further, we offer £5,000,000 worth of cover to our Insured Members. Details of our insurance can be found at:

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene and please feel free to add locations of your own too :smiley:

Wondering whether you can fly a particular model of drone under particular circumstances? Check out Good 2 Go where you’ll soon find the answer :blush:

Have you seen our Members Map? You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the Questions & Answers category.

And finally, if you are new to drones and wondering what it’s all about, have a look at Resources for a beginner.

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Welcome to GADC Charles. I’m just down the road in Derby :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Hi Charles @Orchardman and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Orchardman Charles welcome to the club.

1 Like

@Orchardman Hi Charles, welcome to the club mate. I’m often visiting my daughter in Hilton in Derbyshire, great place to fly (with permission of course - just watch out for the few FRZ’s about)! Look fwd to any footage you care to upload through YouTube :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Orchardman Charles - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hello Charles, welcome to Grey Arrows, hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Charles

1 Like

Charles,
I don’t know if this is helpful, but you can reduce the sensitivity of the sticks around the “centre position”.
This might help with your slight tremor.

It’s under [control], then [Gain and Expo setting]

@ianinlondon did a good video on this topic fairly recently.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll give that a try.

1 Like

Hi Charles, welcome from the Black Country

1 Like

Ahh almost in the middle of Derby Airfield FRZ. Easy to get permission from them Colin. I got permission to fly in Willington village centre last year for one of the birthday challenges ( pic of a grade 2 listed building within a FRZ ) :wink::wink:

1 Like

@JockyB, Yes John, I’ve contacted them many times to fly in the area. Took a pic for the Birthday comp 2 yrs ago of St Marys Marston-on-Dove Church and a video last year of Willington Cooling towers. Was about to fly at Clay Mills recently on a whim but got a DJI RC warning before take off. Used Drone Scene and was standing on the edge of one of Derby AIrports runway extension boundaries. Didn’t have time to ring them so left it for another day. They told me I was good to fly after 1800hrs as they don’t have flights after this time. They also said that their less bothered at the Willington end, its more near the Toyota Works that they are concerned about. :+1:

Hey up gisss a lift :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:
:joy:

1 Like

Haha!

1 Like

Hello Charles. Another Derbyshire here, although I live near to the Nottinghamshire border.
I’m quite new to drone flight but have found that the information on here certainly helps to smooth out what could otherwise be an incredibly steep learning curve.

2 Likes

@Orchardman welcome