New to Droning in the Ruislip area

I’m new to this forum and have had a drone for about a year. In that time I have had limited oportunity to fly mainly because of council restrictions and living so close to so many airports. I also find myself nervous not wanting to infringe the law or upset anyone. I desperately need to practise flying and get a grip of what the drone is capable. Filming and editing has been an interest for many years and I would love to add drone footage to my edited videos. I guess what I would really like is to be mentored and learn from someone more experienced. Can anyone help that lives nearby?

Hello @Ealann10 and welcome to GADC , it’s a great club , check the members map to see if any members live nearby , enjoy you’ll get the hang of it mate , good luck :+1:t2:

1 Like

Welcome Nigel :+1:

Hi Nigel and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Ealann10 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Hi Nigel - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

[quote=“Ealann10, post:1, topic:55323”]

Hi, Welcome to GADC…
too far from you I’m afraid…
I have the same restrictions around where i live. stuck between a naval base, and a few airports. just about the whole town has an NFZ… it does make practicing difficult, but you you get a lot of support in GADC. I have I’m a new flyer, and I’ve had tons of advice…

1 Like

Hi Nigel welcome from the Black Country.

1 Like

Hi I live in the country so not too bad generally but lots of trees so was difficult practising low level. I found a huge open space about 10 miles away and drove out there then practiced all the auto moves just using big bushes as my focus.

When I had all the moves working for me I started filming real subjects and the guys and gals on here just helped tremendously.

Have fun and don’t be afraid to ask.

D

1 Like

Hiya Nigel,
I’m up in Chesham (not that far from you);
I wouldn’t consider myself anything of an expert, but I’m happy to help where I can…
Cheers
Robin

1 Like

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the reply. I would love to meet up.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,
Welcome to GADC! I am also in Ruislip and like you I struggle to find somewhere to fly in the area. I used to use a place in the Chorleywood area but the land owner moved livestock in :frowning: Anyway I have another area to scout out at Harrow view point …

So far it seems to be that flying on the coast is the easiest, but check for notams, etc.

I am no expert but happy to meet up.

Mark