Newbie in Ipswich looking for a community

I just got a DJI mini 2 - really excited about it too! I’m still a little lost finding a designated area to fly especially since there’s really little information about this to find (everywhere looks okay). Is there a general rule of thumb for where flying? Either way, I am happy to travel the UK to areas where I can, which is the reason why I got a drone in the first place. Won’t mind a meet up with any other enthusiast. Currently in Ipswich living by the waterfront.

2 Likes

Hi @Efe and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi @Efe - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks so much. Just added me to the map too.

Hi from Wigan @Efe :wave:t2:

Avoid some of the flight-restricted airspace :slight_smile:

Have a look around Drone Scene that @OzoneVibe linked to and experiment with the different map layers as it’s a great resource for viewing all the different airspace restrictions in one place.

1 Like

Thanks @PingSpike. Just to double check, I didn’t have to take the test or get a flyer’s ID to use the DJI mini 2 since it is under 250g, yes?

Welcome @Efe to GADC :grinning:

Welcome to the forum. You need an operator ID because it’s under 250gm, not a toy and has a camera. Worth getting the flyer ID as well if you’re new to drones.

Done and Done.

2 Likes

Hi there. I appreciate your post is over a year old but I have recently purchased a drone and it would be great to meet other enthusiasts in Ipswich. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Brewster, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

welcome @Efe

Sure thing. Where in Ipswich are you? I usually fly at the park near the train station. You?

Hi there.

Sorry to take so long to reply. I need to start coming on here more often!

I know the park you are talking about. I live very near there but I haven’t flown the drone there. I’ve been going to Chantry Park. Just thought I’d take advantage of the designated flying area while I’m still finding my wings. Have you been there? How often do you fly?