Newbie needing advice in East Sussex

Hi all

I’m a brand new newbie, eager to learn how to competently fly my Mavic 2 Z in the Uckfield area.
Having received my drone this week I’d anticipated finding a spot less trod on the Ashdown Forest to practice only to have found that flying drones there is not allowed.
I have 2 weeks to be able to get to a level of confidence/competence ready for my PFCO learnings (UAV8)
Any guidance on where/how best to learn in my area in the short time available would be greatly appreciated… I don’t even know any drone fliers to ask for help…
thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi William,
Welcome to the forum. I am a novice myself, so useless to you.
Sorry, but I hope you find the help you need.

Hi William / @WillyG, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

An ever increasing number of our members also own the M2Z… so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

As to your overall question, and without wishing to sound negative, I think you’re probably setting yourself a pretty tough target to go from new drone owner to PfCO in a couple of weeks. But good luck with that, and let us know how you get on.

Others familiar with your area may be able to give more focused advice on places in your vicinity that are suitable for the initial stages of learning to fly the M2P.

As @OzoneVibe has said it’s a pretty tall order to get flight ‘competent’ in such a short period of time.

Look for a school field somewhere nice and open and practice those circles, squares and eights.

Good luck

@OzoneVibe
Thank you - fingers crossed!!

@milkmanchris
Never one to under-challenge myself :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you for your reply - is better pull my finger out and get practicing

1 Like

Thank you @Boydey - I appreciate your honesty … yay!!! I am not alone!!!

1 Like

Forget the photo stuff for now, big open field and just fly .

Just checked maps and loads of big open spaces round you, you have the length of days and weather in your favour.

Sounds like you are going to be mighty busy for the next two weeks!.
Good luck with that, and a big welcome from one of the boys!.

@chrisjohnbaker thank you for the warm welcome

2 years flying with my MP before PfCO but hey nothing like getting in at the deep end good luck so long as you have yours hours in

1 Like