Newbie, Redhill/Reigate seeking help

Hi, I’ve just bought my first drone, a used but well cared for Mavic Pro. I’ve made a couple of short, incident free, flights down by the coast but would appreciate some help to boost my confidence.
I’m also looking for info on flying sites in the local area.
Thanks in anticipation
Shaunh

Welcome Shaun @Shaunh
:wave::wave::wave:

1 Like

Hi Shaun / @Shaunh, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

A significant number of our members also own the MP … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Read what you can. Watch youtube videos (I can recommend IaninLondon’s vids - he’s very experienced but not afraid to document his mistakes in an attempt to save you from doing the same. well worth watching IMHO.

The best way to get confidence is to build it yourself. Fly in local areas as shown on the Dronescene map - if you can avoid the crowds on virus spreaders - try figures of 8 and squares while looking at the aircraft, not at the screen. Mix it up with fun flights - take video or stills, try a panorama.

Above all, have fun!

2 Likes

Robert’s right, get use to how the drone flies first before trying challenging flights.
Do the maneuvers until you do them without thinking about it.
Small ,slow, gentle stick movements are better than yanking the sticks left ,right, up ,down, makes for smoother video and control.
And by the way!, a big welcome to GADC ,from one of the old farts !.
Take care out there !.

3 Likes

Welcome to the group, lot’s of info on here and a vast amount of knowledge from these guys

2 Likes

Welcome to the mad house. Great bunch of nutters here and don’t forget your medication

2 Likes

Welcome to GADC Shaun.

1 Like

Them lovely men in white coats have just come to give me my suppository, I am hoping tomorrow to pass my Brain so i forget all about this shit !.
By the way , a big welcome from one of the nutters (again) !.
Who were you by the way?, cos tomorrow i might not remember?. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’ve tried to add myself to the map, following the instructions, but get stuck on the second step where I don’t appear to have a provision to add my location in my profile.

Click here to go to your profile … then complete “Your Location”.

Thanks Mac, I’ve been watching a few videos and am finding them very useful. One of the best is a tutorial explaining all the buttons, functions and setting in my Mavic Pro controller and the Mavic Go app.
Thanks again for your reply.

1 Like

Thanks again - all sorted now (I think). I was trying to be too specific with my address.

1 Like

Looks good!

1 Like

chrisjohnbaker, I can count myself in the “old farts” brigade. (I even qualied for my OAP bus pass in January.

Glad about that, cos, i got mine last March ,and have yet to use it !!.(yet)

1 Like

I used my bus pass for the first time, last month, for a couple of journeys between Bognor Regis and Chichester. It was brilliant - the first time upstairs on a double decker for about 50 years.
And I got a front seat (I was the only person upstairs).

[blush] Thank you! It’s not often that anyone finds my answers useful :slight_smile: Don’t be shy about asking questions (though using the search function first often provides an answer). You will get answers - sometimes answers that are similar to one another. Other times you may get five replies with six or more opposing opinions! How’s the search for flying areas going?

One thing I recommend is to look at Litchi on the desktop. It is free. The flying app is around 20 quid and IMHO well worth it. Litchi has a Mission Hub that allows you to plan flights via waypoints. There is software available - Virtual Litchi Mission, also free, that allows you to “fly” the mission you have created in Google Earth. Great for checking camera angles and for pre-planning days out when you are stuck indoors for whatever reason!