Newbie Starting Out on the FPV Journey

Now that I’ve had the Avata 2 for a couple months, I’m now considering to get a Freestyle FPV drone.

Ideally I’d like to be able to use my current controller(s) and Goggles that I got with the Avata 2.

So it will need to have the DJI O3 air unit.

Now I’m looking for some advice on the rest of the quadcopter.

I’ve been reading all the threads on here and watching YT videos on the subject, however this has left me with more questions, than when I first thought of it :face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes:

Do I go for 4” or 5”?
Self build, bind to fly or ready to fly?
What about the ESC & flight controller boards?

I’m open to all suggestions from members who have experience.

PS. I did search the forum before posting this, but there were no obvious returns to my search

As a fairly new pilot myself I don’t know how much my opinion counts but here are my thought. If you just want to be up and flying a bind and fly is a great idea. Myself on the other hand love the tinkering side of the hobby so my first freestyle quad was a build and there is something really satisfying about putting something together yourself and getting it in the air. That being said if you do decide to build something there is a minefield of options not least of which is size.
I personally think 4 inch is a bit of an odd ball, they are a bit big for a small quad and not big enough for a big quad. If you want something a bit smaller go for a 3 or 3.5 you can keep these sub 250g which is nice or if you want a big one go 5. From there a good idea is to look what is being put on the bnf’s and go a bit better as they tend to be built to a budget.
Hope that helps a little.

3 Likes

Thank you @Schnauzer_FPV

Opinions from all experiences, is appreciated, because I have absolutely zero knowledge at the moment.
:+1:t2:

Regardless of the route you take into FPV as a whole. My only advice is get on YouTube and search for Joshua Bardwell, The Bard will see you right. If you have a problem with anything FPV related he well probably have a video on it explaining how to resolve the issue :+1:t2:

8 Likes

I’m currently working my way through a 14 episode playlist of his, how to build a FPV.
:+1:t2:

Thing is, I’ve heard different things about him, when I’ve listened to other pilots

1 Like

Also, get yourself LiftOff and come join the Sim sessions. Join the Discord server for more information here:

When you join please confirm your GADC username so we know its you and not a spam bot. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Some people don’t like him but in my opinion he’s the best resource for information on YouTube for beginners.

3 Likes

Job done, but it won’t let me post.

Hi there, any statement I make here only reflect my view. I have always built my drones and been flying FPV (at an average level :-D) for about 7 years.

So 4 inches - you can build nice ones that fly madly, but I would advise you to go for 5 inches as this is the sweet spot for set up… just easier to build, easier to tune, and full of defaults out there in the software / firmware that will help.

There are plenty of frames out there. Go to JB’s site (knowitall) and do a bit of research. Myself, I would advise to go to the supafly site and get one of his frames. Another easy option is the apex.

for FC and ESCs, this is also an area that changes a lot. Last few years, some people would only swear by a brand. and then this brand disappears… then you need to do your research all over again. Personally, I am finding that as long as you build with enough capacitors and avoid moving parts, all ESCs and FC will do ok. Finally, motors are another area where people have strong opinions, but at the end of the day, get yourself 6S motors with low KV (1750 for example) to keep some level of control when you start.

I used a lot of CNHL black batteries in the last few years and just moved to the dogcoms that you can get on unmanned tech. They seem to be ok.

I think that should give you a good start. As all the others said, train on simulator and ensure that you have followed good build videos (need to be confortable with soldering, etc…)

good luck!

2 Likes

Hi @ORB_FPV, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Who doesn’t like bardwell? OK you may not like his voice, or his opinions or summit, but he ain’t wrong on the basics and getting going. What he’s put into the hobby and his knowledge of “general” high high level (OK he may not be the best at tuning (you got rosser for that if you understand a word he says), but his broad broad love and understanding is great). Watch him, and watch the same video over and over again. Maybe don’t take his product recommendations
or reviews (I’m pretty sure he’s not a shill, but you never 100% know), but emax or xing motors for example won’t go wrong. I don’t believe he lies or is “massively” bias (we’re all bias to some extent (PS dont touch HDZero with a barge pole).

BnF or self build… Depends. I personally believe self built the better option as you WILL break something and knowing how to put it together means fixing it a lot easier (albeit expense, and YES budget twice what you spend on the build for repairs at least, lol). Buy 5 motors, 50 props, etc, etc.
But that will depend how much time you can watch bardwell (or others, I do like Oscar Liang too as he’s not video, and sometimes nicer to read, so between bardwell and Oscar is a great combo), also your soldering skills, what soldering irons and kit you’ll need to get, etc, etc. So a BnF can be quick and easy to get into the air, but self build is an awesome journey!

Also if you do self build… 5 inch all the way for the first build, and a big open frame (not a small racer). Squeezing everything in (and there’s no 100% correct answer to where to put everything) is a lot easier on a 5inch than a 4, 3, 2, etc… I think 3.5/4 is a good size, but to start I’d go 5 just for all that lovely room you get to put things!

Plenty of decent kit out there to pick from. AOS frames are good, but expensive, the open source TBS source are good, as said before EMAX or XING motors. I wouldn’t go for the best on your first build, as it’ll likely die. ALso I’d go 6S from day one, it’s bizarrely easier to fly and gives you that “Oh shit” power you need at times! Wish I’d never made a 4S one to start.

Though a 6S 5 inch will destroy your avata 2 from day one. You’ll never fly the avata again once you get the hang of it.

You are ready @TheBinman

Oh lastly… I really would look to get a new controller and use ELRS (other systems are available yes I know, and XF is great, but it’s 2024… get ELRS) instead of the DJI controller. Radiomaster Boxer, or “maybe” the new T15 jumper great choices (plenty of options and opinions out there, but you can’t go wrong with radiomaster). I guess you got the goggles 3, so you’re only option for FPV video system is O3 (excellent deal on flywoo at the moment, though caveat that with probably hard to get UK support, see Sundays @Mads-Tech for info, link below).

3 Likes

I have learnt a lot from Bardwell and everyone else on this forum, and I am still learning. I learnt manual on the Avata and from putting as much time as I could in the sims.
I made sure I could take off and land in manual on the Avata. I also made sure that I flew without hitting that safety button. For me we went with a bind and fly 5 inch iflight Nazgul with 03 camera and elrs, the quad flies on 6s batteries.
We went for elrs because we already have the radiomaster tx16s for the wing. In the end I got myself a radiomaster Zorro as it is easier for me to hold.
Practising every weekend (weather permitting) at Beacon park. I will build my own quad but at the moment I am happy flying my Nazgul to build up my experience.
I have tried a few of the sims, liftoff being my favourite, if you have the time just keep practicing with the controller that you use flying your drone.

2 Likes

So many different ways to go but as many have said you can’t go far wrong with Bardwell and his advice.

I started with a Tiny hawk 2, crashed it, modified it, crashed it loads more and modified it again.
If you start small you will want bigger and better quickly so starting with a 5 inch is the sensible option.

My first few were pre build BNF drones as it was a much easier route to the hobby.
You will inevitably crash and have to repair which will help you learn the building process.
Expect to spend lots as you go through this journey as building needs, tools, spares and all manner of things.

This would be a good starting point - IFlight Nazgul DC5 ECO DJI O3 HD 6S 5 Inch Freestyle RC FPV Racing Drone BNF with BLITZ ATF435 FC Digital HD System Sale - Banggood UK

As for RX & Tx - if you plan to have more than one drone you will need something like ELRS or Crossfire that will open up possibilities but ofcourse costs more.

I fly 7 drones on cross fire using my Tango 2 controller that has worked well for me from day one.

The good thing about FPV is the constant innovation, thats also the curse that costs you £££’s

Worth a chat to a few of us at the meet so you can see and try what is available.

1 Like

Love the Nazgul, was my first 5 inch fpv and still my favourite to fly

1 Like

I absolutely love it, flies so smoothly :blush:

1 Like

They’re solid too. I’ve crashed mine a few times and upgraded and rebuilt it loads. Still going strong after 4 years

2 Likes

@TheBinman im at the same stage as you mate. And not sure wether to self build or get prebuilt. I want to learn freestyle but also just like cruising and making films. I might end up getting bnf betafpv pavo20 v2 so im under 250g. Ive got the goggles from the avata 2 andbwas looking at the boxer from radio master. Be good to have a chat with you the weekend sometime if your going to the big meet?

Although there is value in building everything yourself from scratch, and I’m not against that at all, you will learn just as well by buying a bnf. The moment you start breaking things you will have to start fiddling with it and eventually learn everything you need.
Bc of this, I would actually recommend getting a bnf, like the nazgul eco series, and just fly it. This will get you flying quicker whilst you learn your stuff watching a million youtube videos out there and slowly applying what you learn as needed.
You can always have the joy of building one from scratch on your second quad :wink:

1 Like

Yep, buy BNF, start flying, then start learning 3 minutes later when you have to repair it :laughing: :smiley:

3 Likes

Best 5inch iv flown, I have 2 and there great very robust and you can get parts of banggood cheap as chips…

2 Likes