Night camera test

Flying a top secret mission tomorrow night! I thought I’d test the camera. It was extremely dark outside and this is just by the light of the Mavic’s landing lights.

Any idea what causes the flicker? Is it the underside of the props reflecting a small amount of light maybe?

Any bright (:rofl:) ideas how to work around it?

https://vimeo.com/461971687/12a1b6e469

Hey Andrew LEDs flicker when on video. Im assuming the landing lights are LEDs on your drone?

LED lighting is not a continuous light. It pulses.

1 Like

What drone is this on @ash2020? A Mavic “what”?

And what FPS were you recording at?

1 Like

Only the M2 has landing lights I believe?

1 Like

Yes, the downward facing white LEDs. But LEDs shouldn’t flicker unless they are fed with a PWM signal and I would have thought these would be a constant voltage. I believe the reason car LEDs and traffic lights etc. flicker if you move your eyes quickly is because they power save with a pulsed supply.
Maybe these are pulsed.

Sorry Rich & Dave, my Mavic 2 Zoom.

1 Like

They are only designed for you to see the drone and to light the ground during landing … and probably the VPS, too … not as video lighting … so no reason to be continuous. The eyes fill in the gaps. :wink:

1 Like

25fps. I’m guessing Lume Cubes don’t pulse?

Nope - great for video!

But the lack of pulsing also means they get quite warm.

1 Like

Any idea what the duty cycle of these would be?

I have a small landing light on my MA2 as well although its not the best but its better than nothing lol

1 Like

The ones on the M2 are pretty bright!

Compared to one of my LumeCubes, and the M2 is only about 50% as bright.

1 Like

A monument lit by one of my LumeCubes …

5 Likes

I guess if they use a 50% duty cycle they can push the current right up and get the amazing brightness that way. I’m sure they are brighter than a standard 1W LED.

3 Likes

Its just a single LED on the MA2. Are the LumeCubes designed as video lighting for night flight?

Wow that is bright! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

For video and for all sorts of use … not just night.

1 Like

Woah! That is fantastic. Just what I need. But can’t get one for tomoz. Even from Amazon.

1 Like

The shot by the MP …

1 Like