"No Drones" signs everywhere

Thank you, that is very encouraging. I will do that :blush:

Thank you, it appears to me that there is a lot of stigma from some people regarding drones, and how they are dangerous etc. and should be banned. I think you are right, and if I do get confronted it is best to find another spot!

You can usually spot angry Karen or Ken approaching by the way that they stride towards you. People who are trying to make a pleasant enquiry usually approach slowly as if they are slightly worried about disturbing you. I have only had one unpleasant interaction in about 4 months of flying the drone. If the conversation starts with “have you got a licence for that thing?” it isn’t going to be a pleasant enquiry.

We have an angry farmer on a running route we do… He shouts at people for running through a field (no livestock). We can walk apparently, but illegal to run as it damages the ground.

A few love their land and even with public footpaths through, they not happy! Take off from outside on public land, and fly high over as others have suggested. Check Drone Scene, and your good to go really :slight_smile:

Thank you, much appreciated. I will do that :slight_smile:

Fly first, apologise after, is the single best bit of advice I can give. Just follow the CAA Drone Code and go out and enjoy the hobby :+1:t2:

Thank you - sounds like good advice :slight_smile:

Hi James,

And welcome to the group from another Otleytonian.

I bet one of the rocky outcrops was Almcliff Craggs. The no drone signs there are so you don’t spook the rock climbers. Though there is nothing legally binding to stop you, I’ve flown over it a few times, just be courteous to others.

If you want an open space in which to familiarise yourself with your drone the sports field behind the park is suitable. I use it to test some of my builds when I haven’t the motivation to drive out to my club site. You just have to put up with DJI’s over protective notifications about LBA.

Hi James - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

As others have already said - cows & sheep are rarely bothered by a drone flying overhead but horses are a different story - they do have a dislike for drones and can be easily spooked. By far the biggest danger are angry farmers worried that their expensive machinery is being cased for possible theft but they have no legal right to prevent you flying over their land :man_shrugging:

Get a few flights in a quiet area under your belt to build your confidence and you’ll find yourself worrying less and less about signs that have no legal basis. Enjoy :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi Nidge - yep ‘Almscliffe Crag’. I have been going there for years and only noticed the sign this morning…typical :slight_smile: It was very early this morning and no one was about - if I had known about the climbers I would have had a quick fly. Just wanted to be somewhere quiet and on my own for my very first ever fly.

I will try the sports field - good idea. I also thought about Ilkley moor too (not too near the Cow and Calf) but maybe the Twelve Apostles or that area…

Thanks again, maybe bump into you one day :slight_smile:

I’m very new to flying a DJI mini 4 Pro and have been digging deep into all the regulations. (see ‘Geeksvana’ on U-Tube).The one rule that crops up a lot is flying within VLOS (Visual Line of Sight). I have done tests and conclude (as does tests featured on U-Tube) that flying further than about 60 metres puts the drone out of sight and thus you are flying illegally and if you cause trouble you may end up in court. Nearly all the videos uploaded to U-Tube seem to disobey this rule. The CAA seem to be getting more and more tough on this - it will be interesting to see how the rules tighten up even further in 2026!

Was that a typo? Did you mean 600m? :thinking:

1 Like

I watched a YouTube video only last night where someone flew their drone 4km to see how far it would go…and like you say, there are a lot of similar ones too.

Yeah hope he doesn’t drive…

1 Like

I find that the VLOS distance varies depending on the background. It is harder to see the drone when it is low down with trees in the distance than it is high up against a blue sky.

I currently have a self imposed VLOS distance of 215 metres, even then I sometimes need to activate the landing light on the M4P in order to re-acquire it after I have looked down at the screen.

VLOS is mainly to allow you to be aware of any other airspace users, I am confident that I can spot helicopters, light aircraft, parachutists etc a long time before they could get near my drone

It also varies based on what you fly.

You can see a black Inspire quite clearly from two miles away against a blue sky, and I’d imagine Rob’s new Matrice could be seen even further away than that.

No, not a typo! At 400 feet altitude and 60 metres away my mini drone is a tiny black spec in the sky (if I know where to look). You also need to be able to see which way it is facing so that you can take appropriate action not just see it. Have a look at some of the VLOS videos for mini drones on U-Tube.

Bull red rag and very confident professionally with traffic regulations. I purposely park in front of these signs.

60 meter may put it out of sight for yourself. 60 metres does not put it out of sight for myself. I not aware of which lights/strobes are another person’s drone nor how good their unaided eyesight might be not which conditions (rain, clear).

VLOS - each person is responsibility . The law and regulations mentions nothing about 60m. Visual Line of Sight.

Definitely. I was flying my drone today ( met up with Stikflote) my drone was about 50m away and fairly low (5m) Took my eye off it for a few seconds to check something onscreen. Looked up and had I not known where it was, I’d have not had a clue until it moved, because of the background ( houses and trees in the middle distance) :wink: