Noob from Norfolk

Good evening everyone,

My name is Mike Oughton and I live near Dereham in Norfolk. I bought a Mavic Pro combo about three weeks ago, but only got to fly it for the first time yesterday, due to a combination of bad weather and lack of time off.

This is my first drone and I’m very keen to get some guidance/training of some kind in order to ensure it doesn’t become an expensive tree ornament :yum:

Anyway, thought I’d say hello - hope to get to know you soon!

Cheers,

Mike :sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome Mike.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
Great to have you here.
I to am from Narfuk , little ole place called Eaton ,on the outskirts of Norwich.
Got another Guy who is on here who lives close by, been flying drones now for 4 years, no crash’s, yet!
Any good places around your way to fly?
Perhaps we can have a meet up.
If I can be of any help, in any way, just shout, always ready to give friendly advice and/or basic training.
You could say I am addicted to the things !!
Have a squadron of the DJI Range , with the Mavic Air just been added a few weeks ago !! (not in picture)

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

No - that’s not an addiction, is it? :joy::rofl:

The only flight I have done so far is a straight up, 360, up a bit more, 360 and down :roll_eyes:

I would absolutely welcome some basic training. I don’t know of anywhere local to me that’s good or otherwise, but I am going to make enquiries of my employers (in Thorpe St Andrew) to see if they would be happy with me flying in the car park there (which is vast) at the weekends - I’ll let you know when I hear back.

Cheers,

Mike :sunglasses:

Hi Mike, Sounds like a plan !, alternatively I live very close to Eaton Park and the University Of East Anglia Grounds, where I regularly fly, lots of open space.
I took Russell (PaperCrane, on here), there a few weeks ago.
He was like you a total newbie, but after a half an hour we got him doing some flying, best bit is he hadn’t got his drone ! (yet) so I allowed him to fly my Mavic Pro.
He is currently in America ,picking up ,and flying his drone over there, till this weekend.
As you probably know, there is a lot to learn about the Mavic, and the way it handles.
I am semi-retired now, so I am fairly flexible with my time, and quite often leave “her indoors” and disappear of into the wild blue yonder for a flight somewhere.
I have a friend of a friend who lives right in the middle of Halvergate Marshes.
Its great getting out there, no one to bother you for miles!.
Had some great flights around the windmill over the field from his house.

You can catch a few of my Droning experience’s here on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQnkNt2fndsUrrge20l5dGw

Speak soon
Regards
Chris

2 Likes

Hi there @MikeO and welcome to Grey Arrows :smiley:

We’ve an interactive map on the go which lists good places to fly, take a look and feel free to add to it!

That my friend, has seen nearly all of us grounded over the last few months :cry:

But, spring is here now!

Welcome once again :+1:

1 Like

Top man @chrisjohnbaker :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Hey Mike welcome aboard, good to have you here!

1 Like

Thanks Chris - I have sent you a message (I hope - still getting used to the forum :yum: )

Cheers,

Mike

1 Like

to send message just click on @chrisjohnbaker and you will get message box up !

1 Like

Hi @MikeO, welcome to GADC. Great to have you with us.

2 Likes

Hi welcome to the mad house
My farther was brought up near Burnham market top end of east anglia some really nice places that I bet you can fly around holkam and brancaster
I still have relations down there and am going to arrange a visit later in the year will give you a shout perhaps

2 Likes

Hi MIke
Welcome aboard. Next stop, upgrade your PC / laptop to handle 4K video; new carry case; extra SD cards… push aside jobs tound house and garden; … :smile:
Actually, the Pro will see you fine for many years, and getting the Combo was a great move for the extra batteries and car charger.
There’s plenty of help and advice on here.
If I offer one clip,. it’s to watch the main causes of crashes, which you never want to do, as it’s expensive… :slight_smile:
CHeers,
Ian in London

2 Likes

@mike Welcome to greyarrows . Like me a neewbi but your in the right place for good advise have fun and fly safe

1 Like

Hi Ian,

Think I’m OK with the laptop and home PC side of things - although I see myself filming principally in 1080P to begin with anyway. I have a venerable old Mac Pro with 32Gb of RAM and a MacBook Pro with 16Gb, they seem to be able to handle most stuff between them.

Thanks for the clip - meeting up with Chris for a flying lesson in an hour, so I’m going to watch it now!

Cheers,

Mike :+1:

1 Like

Just watched it - very informative - thanks :+1:

Some expensive looking bits of film clipped into there :scream:

Right - let’s see if I can survive this morning… :helicopter::yum:

Most of those clips were from other YouTube videos. The one I crashed on purpose at the start was faulty and going back to DJI for replacement :slight_smile: So apart from that, noen of those were my crashes :slight_smile:

Ian

1 Like

Awesome video Ian.

Crash videos are a great way of learning when people take the time to explain how it happened.

Definitely a must watch for beginners. Should have it’s own thread to point people to.

2 Likes

You survived Mike, AND YOU DID’NT CRASH !!!, :+1:
I hopefully got you flying gracefully with your Mavic, It was a pleasure to pass on some “Knowledge” to one of our new Members.
If there is anyone else from Norwich who needs some help?, just contact me for advice or some free lessons (I’m cheap !, the Pub is at the End of the Road !!:beer:)
Seriously, just give me a shout, and I will do my best to help anyone.

3 Likes

Hi Mike, hi Chris!

As Chris says, I’m over in the US right now buzzing around the skies of Texas and Arizona, but I’m back early next week. Suggest the three of us catch up?

Chris has been an absolute star and given me so much help and good advice over the last two or three weeks. I’d have been a lot further behind the curve if it wasn’t for his help - so a massive thank you to Chris.

Welcome to the Forum Mike. Hopefully we can get you whizzing about around the Fine City soon.

3 Likes