Ogston Resevoir flying and Severn Trents rules.

After a recent “Conversation” with a Ornithologist at Ogston Res. who “Claimed” drone flying was not allowed on the site/area. I approached Seven Trent who own the land/res. and established to my shock, while the twitcher was not 100% correct, he might as well have been. Severn Trent (ST) have a application form, which is a one form catches all, that needs to be completed, submitted and approved LONG before any flight takes place (Minimum 2 weeks). When you look at the form it appears it is only for Commercial purposes, I therefore spoke to ST who advised its the only form and must be completed by all before overflying their Reservoirs. In Addition there is likely to be a fee of £1000, and if flight cancelled then a 50% fee of the total. Filming Policy and the application form,

Application Form.

It would be interesting to get other’s opinions on this …

1 Like

It sounds like they mistook your request as commercial filming, not a hobbyist flight.

The other option is simply don’t take off from their land. You can still fly over it.

3 Likes

:sunglasses::+1: no comment :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, @StuartAlderson - Ogston Res is just down the road from me and I thought it would be a great place to fly… Then saw the NO DRONE sign in the car park so wondered how official that was, then noticed its all ST owned which made me turn around and come home.

I will make another trip to see if there is anywhere nearby that I can park up and take off from. Having only had a one time drive around it, all I could make out is that its for fishing only… (I could be totally wrong…) But Drone flying aside, it also looks like a great place for a walk around but doesn’t seem too welcoming for anyone who isn’t paying to fish there…

Interested to see if anyone else has had any experiences here too…

1 Like

If you continue past the sailing club entrance, along the rouad perhaps 3/4’s a mile is a place marked “Fishermans Car Park” you may well be allowed to use that … as it is distinctly not part of the Res. I used the West Car Park … and people were fine with it and took a intrest, the “Circular car park near the Sailing Club” is. where I had the Twitcher moaning, easier to drive away than argue …

Sadly Ping, they did not … as you will see the one form fits ALL … so even as a recreational flyer you “Should complete and submit” prior to approval being completed. I have subsequently spoke to them on the phone, that is the rule. I will not get into the politics … but they are not doing themselves any favours … IMHO a site portrayed correctly will attract more visitors and make it more popular. Maybe this is what they are trying to avoid as there is no money in it for them … but it does apply to all of their Res’s according to the guy I spoke too…:frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks Stuart. I will nip and have another look at some point and see if I can get in the air for a few minutes. May try earlier on in the morning when not as many folks are around.

2 Likes

Shame, it looks nice ;o)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ogston+reservoir+drone

1 Like

I would ask them for a Freedom Of Information request re there policy on drone flying and any restrictions or bylaws, as Simon has done foe all Councils across the UK, only legal bylaws or RFZ can prevent you flying over the air space, they can of course ask you not to take off or land from their private land but that is it.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/simon_hawkins

The only people who physically seem to object are the “Twitchers”, however I went over to the “West Car” park which had a number of elderly couples enjoying the views and the sun, and they were most amicable. I think that says it all …

3 Likes

Aren’t the car parks ST property too? So would that make taking off from any of the car parks no different to taking off at the side of the res? I can only think that taking off from somewhere off of the road would be the best option but then again, there aren’t many places to stop and pull over along the surrounding roads.
Its a tricky one because it looks a great local place to fly, such a shame it isnt more accessible.

1 Like

I had a walk to Ogston last night. I too saw the sign in the car park at the bottom of south hill, and so carried on along to the New Napoleon. There’s a nice bench outside on the road, and I was just getting my drone out when a car pulled up and I ended up chatting for 45 minutes, and never did fly the drone.

I spotted two places that would be good for flying. The first is on south hill, between Hope Cottage and Boar Farm. The land at the top of the hill has been cleared at the moment, and there’s a public footpath if you want to get off the road. The other place was on Temperance Hill - there’s a bench next to the bus stop, and open land all around.

There are also good views of the reservoir from Handley Lane, by the start of the footpath to Wooley Moor.