Oh dear! Forestry Commission Scotland out of bounds?

I’ve always thought that the term “drone” doesn’t do us any favours, what with the connotations of killing people remotely and the noise implications (droning on). I used to insist on calling it a quad or quadcopter but sadly the tabloids love the word drone.

2 Likes

I agree, it doesn’t have a good vibe. We either need more positive drone stories, or maybe we should start calling them SUAs like the CAA does in the ANO. Personally, I quite like UAV or the NATs-used RPAS (remotely piloted aerial systems) :blush::+1:

Yes, indeed. I like a UAV, but then I’ve also got an ROV so I hope I remember which one to drop in the water!

2 Likes

Why did I zoom in and try to find 2 people at it lol

1 Like

What ROV do you have? Any underwater footage?

Sorry Callum, only just seen your post.

https://store.openrov.com/products/openrov-v2-8-kit

It has 100m of tether although we’ve only been to about 30m.

I’ve got a couple of videos. Not desperately exciting, but the second one is an amazing wreck which we hope to revisit.
The great thing about underwater is that there aren’t really any NoFlyZones! But it helps to have a boat!

Cheers.

7 Likes

Great is seriously cool!

I’m impressed.

1 Like

Thanks Callum. It’s great fun, we should do more. Too many hobbies.:grin:

2 Likes

i want one !

2 Likes

The current version is the Trident, although they have been having some supply issues. Evidently it is more manoeuvrable than the previous versions. The OpenROV 2.8 is a very advanced device though, and still well worth the money.

1 Like

@ash2020 what a fantastic gadget!!! :+1:

Has @JayForceOne seen this?! :grimacing:

I have now!!!

2 Likes

Ordered one yet? :rofl:

1 Like

So, I just had a formal response from the Forestry Commission to my complaint about them being non-compliant with the SOAC concerning the use of drones. The pertinent quote is:

“I have investigated this issue and have now reached a conclusion that our current policy, in relation to the flying of non-commercial drones, is indeed at variance with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.”

They have updated their website accordingly:

https://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/managing/get-involved/permissions-and-permits#drone

Looks like we’ve come to a sensible outcome.

Happy forest (within line of sight) flying guys! :grin:

17 Likes

Bloody marvellous! Well done! :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Let’s hope is stays “current”, too! :wink:

3 Likes

Well done glad they saw reason

3 Likes

Wow!

Well done mate, what a result!

Just goes to show what can be achieved when you enter dialogue with a calm and focused attitude.

Over and above badge awarded

5 Likes

well done @Davester70 !,
On a cracking result !, Scotland here I come !!

2 Likes

Go on Chris your task if you wish to accept it is
A need to work on Holkham, English heritage and national trust

4 Likes