Open Drone Map - a serious alternative to Pix4d

I think cura, and left the model hanging in air for the slicer to create the base. From memory, I prob did skirt or plinth maybe?

Thanks for the quick reply! I use cura as well. My stl just snaps back to base plate

Yes very daunting and took me weeks of googling and playing to get anywhere close to having a clue :wink:

1 Like

Can you get measurements from it to produce reports? Distance, areas etc.
I played with it last year but got put off by the time it took to sort out. Didn’t know there is a self installer.

1 Like

I think so, it does most things that Pix4D does.

What ram and hdd size does this need

Minimum System Requirements

For Windows

• Windows 7 or newer (Windows 8 and Windows 10 are supported)
  • 64bit CPU with MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSSE3 instruction set support or higher (was your CPU manufactured in the last 8 years?)
  • VT-X support (most computers do, but cloud providers such as Azure do not)
  • 20 GB free disk space
  • 4 GB RAM *

For macOS

• macOS El Capitan 10.11 or newer.
  • Mac hardware must be a 2010 or newer model and support Intel virtualization.
  • 20 GB free disk space
  • 4 GB RAM *

(*) You will not be able to process more than 100 images with 4 GB of RAM. If you need to process larger datasets, check the Recommended System Requirements instead, or consider purchasing access to our lightning network.

WebODM installers do not work on 32bit computers.

https://www.opendronemap.org/webodm/download/

2 Likes

Many thanks
What app have you been using on your mavic to map the area
I have been looking at drone deploy just for the mapping of the data but reviews say its not compatable with android on the Snart Controller
Thanks in advance
Ian

I use Pix4Dcapture just to grab the data and fly the mission.

I am looking for some suggestions (preferably open source) for some drone mapping software. I know there is DroneDeploy which I have experience using and also Pix4D but generally they are both very expensive. I like the functionality of DroneDeploy especially the planning of a survey and the way you can connect the drone to the software and do its thing.

Is there any other similar sort of software out there?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Moved your post to this exiting thread on the same topic. Hopefully some useful info.

2 Likes

Came across this from reading another thread.

Looks great for home use rather than cheaping out at home and signing up over and over for a trial of Pix4d and some addons.

Old thread but cheers!

1 Like

Following on from the beautiful images in:-
Avebury Henge - 280 image pano - #12 by clinkadink

Thread to discuss https://www.opendronemap.org/

Thanks to @ximi and @clinkadink for pointing this out.

It takes a DJI video as an input! No changes.

Still playing with it (I chose the images 1024 to test it)

@clinkadink I think that means you could fly Avebury - record a video (camera pointing down) and use that as the raw input ?

I am trying other videos I have to hand.

2 Likes

It accepts video input directly ?! How did I miss that !!

I’ve used video before, but only by using vlc to export frames ( like every x frame depending on what image overlap is needed ) then uploading the images as normal

With that method I lost orientation, so had to ‘fix it’ in a 3d modelling program … I was not happy with the results so never tried again

2 Likes

Looks like it can extract the GPS co-ordinates if you turn subtitles on in the app (something about a .stl file) @bmsleight is that what you used along with the video, or just the .mp4 file?

= Stereo Lithography file, basically the positions of the locations on the map in 3D.

Ah sorry, meant .srt

That’s standard video sub-title format that DJI have been creating (when the option is switched on) since the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom days, I seem to recall.

You can use VLC Media Player to merge/play them with the video … though the info layout you get is pretty unpalatable.

Just the mp4. I expected it not to work reading the bug report on GitHub. But it worked.

I don’t have a better video that’s suitable for an improved at the moment and by the time I get home it will be dark. I try and do a better ‘survey’ video at the weekend. (looking nearly straight down, high height)

I did throw a load of mobile phone photos of a Viking tomb stone and it gave ok results.

Further down the rabbit hole.