ORCAS In Orkney

21 Likes

Mate, thats amazing. Is that a popular site for them or did you randomly just come across them?

2 Likes

That is now high on my bucket list for seeing in the flesh. Was that the Inspire? Would be easy to get caught up following them without realising how far you’ve flown I bet. Fab vid.

1 Like

We were extremely lucky, on perhaps 20 visits we have never seen them. My daughter is a member of a sighting app, where folks alert others if dolphins, whales etc are spotted and the location. She received an alert and location and off we went.

2 Likes

Wow! So lucky! Great capture, thanks for sharing. :+1:

2 Likes

It was my Inspire 2, they had just killed a seal. The water was covered in blubber oil, it had an oily sheen to it. There were massive Sku’s diving down and picking up tit bits, I have the video somewhere. I would have gone a bit lower, was concerned though of a bird strike.

2 Likes

Awesome :+1:t2:was waiting for you to go lower. Reading on I now know why, birds + drones don’t play well. Do you know the name of the app?

1 Like

Orkney Cetacean Group, it’s a Facebook group not an app apologies. My daughter is a member.

PS birds rarely bother my inspire 2 or 1 for that matter. Normally they don’t go near it, that includes large birds of prey. My DJI mini though is a different kettle of fish, size does matter :joy:

Thanks :+1:t2: yup, birds definitely give you the :flushed: fear moments :joy: when you start to talk to yourself out loud… no,no,no,no!

1 Like

No isnt usually what I say when the seagulls start around my Anafi. The thing i usually say rhymes with duck cough.

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Now that`s something a bit different. Great to see.

1 Like

Great video mate. That would be great to see.

1 Like