Parrot and Yuneec sales set to increase?

1 Like

Not for long…

From the article

while other manufacturers can make simple changes to their drones to make them compatible with AeroScope

With it being a requirement under the incoming EASA regulations it wont be long before they are all at it.

2 Likes

As an additional to @callum post above part of the EASA regulation:

Taken from a Phantom Flight School news article

Drone Identification

1. From 1 July 2020, every new drone weighing more than 250gms sold in the EU will have to be fitted with:
  2. A system for transmitting the location of the drone, and of the drone pilot, in such a way that anyone who is interested can see this information
  3. A transponder that means it is clearly visible to manned aircraft
  4. Note that this only applies to new drones being sold. You will have until June 2022 to retrofit such a device to your existing drones. These devices are expected to be very lightweight (less than 10gms) and relatively affordable (less than £20).”

I am very interested to know what after market device, costing £20, will provide electronic conspicuity for drones sold/built prior to the implementation date. Obviously it will need to be programmable by the user which means it could be used to spoof an innocent user.

Nidge.

3 Likes

I have so many issues with this :confused:

4 Likes

That’s not quite how I understood it.

My understanding was,

From 2020 all drones will come with a class rating beside CE mark, C0 to C4.

The class will determine the sub category you can fly in.

Current drones will be able to fly as we do until 2022 during transition period and at that point they will be non compliant. Non compliant drones and home builds will still be able fly in sub category A3 which is far away from people.

As far as I was aware there was no way of classifying existing drones into the new classes after 2022 as they must have the relevant C mark.

That’s good news if we can use our existing kit in the A1 to A2 sub cat if they they meet the required specifications.

1 Like

As do I, Rich.

Nidge.

I’ll admit it’s really easy to get me confused and bemused and today is no exception.

Ian (MadRC) tweeted this earlier today:

Which I figured I could still fly things like my Spark and Anafi as a regular tourist type way but my much larger self built craft would be restricted to my BMFA field, which wouldn’t impact me in anyway, but Phantom Flight School’s interpretation seems to be different.

Nidge :man_shrugging:t6:

2 Likes

MadRC’s interpretation is exactly how I understood it with older consumer drones which do not comply sitting in the same category as self build.

They will be able to fly anywhere there is no risk of endangering uninvolved members of the public but not close to or over people.

To fly close to or over people the new quads will need to fit into subcat C0, C1 or C2.

Perhaps that is where the confusion arises. Non compliant drones will not be grounded, simply restricted to flying in A3.

1 Like

Bit off topic, but just want to say hi to a fellow Anafi owner. :raising_hand_man:

4 Likes